Best Chinato and do you age it?

Very valuable point. I generally open one and consume it over the course of a month!

I can’t say I’ve tasted that many Chinatos, but I recently tasted the Margherita Otto Chinato and found it quite impressive. I had also just tasted the Cappellano version so I was able to make a proper comparison. The Cappellano is ‘heavier’ and very spicy, lots of licorice, etc. The Margherita Otto version was lighter, more floral, more refreshing. I like the Cappellano but could see myself drinking more of the Margherita Otto, and my wife strongly preferred the Margherita Otto version.

2 Likes

Timely rejuvenation of this thread.
I like Marcarini and I am interested in the groups thoughts on Del Professore as it is less expensive.

I went to a great restaurant recently where they offered a range of Negronis including one made with a Barolo Chinato. It was great and I want to offer it but my concern is how long the Chinato remains fresh after opening or whether I should just use a Coravin as I will only be requiring a 30ml serve each time?

I asked Francesca Vaira this question two weeks ago and her response (after laughing and saying most people open it for big family gatherings and there’s none left) was that she keeps hers open to drink over 5 or 6 weeks and it’s fine. Her recommendation was specifically a wine fridge, but she said a regular fridge will do if there’s no wine fridge.

If you’re offering it at a restaurant or bar, I imagine that time frame is not a concern.

I think some keep it longer.

1 Like

I have kept them a month without even keeping it cool. to be fair though, I keep my house at around 68. Many are improving over first week or 2.

2 Likes

But a couple of bottles and try it. Have your bartender blind you on a drink with a bottle that’s open awhile and a fresh bottle.

Good idea but hoping to avoid spoilage as half bottle is $45 wholesale here.

I forgot about this A$ prices.

1 Like

I have had a non Barolo Chinato last year

1 Like

My best new Chinato was the Bartolo. Very special

1 Like

What’s the taste profile compared to the others that have been mentioned?

This is the best Chinato I ever had. By far

2 Likes

I can only compare to all the Cappellano I had and a few Fratelli Alessandria
The Bartolo spice is very special. Hard to describe

1 Like

And Cappellano is the best that I have had. Though it needs to be open a couple of weeks first.

1 Like

This. Cappellano really is much better after sittting open a week or two. The cinchona bark is a serious anti-oxident.

1 Like

We drink quite a bit of Barolo Chinato. Italians seem to have “bitter” down to an art-form. Hard to find in Chicago…apart from Eataly where there are usually 5 or 6 different purchase options. A good rye manhattan is one of our ''go-to" cocktails. We use whatever Barolo Chinato we have open to replace the sweet vermouth. Some sweet vermouths tend to mask the flavor of the spirit (particularly if your bourbon or rye is only 80 proof). The Chinato seems to let the flavor of your base spirit shine.

Just checked…out of any others. Time to cruise by Eataly.

1 Like

Or being cellared for 70 years :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

I’ve only had the one bottle, but it was over the course of weeks. I still enjoyed it very much, but It was just a bit too rich for me. The rest of mine will be consumed far into the future.

I am waiting on a pair of bottles for almost a year now. One of my most anticipated along with Margherita Otto. Hoping these land by this fall as I planned on opening for December.

The Margherita Otto is outstanding. I tried it recently and bought out my local shop.

Yep. For me, it’s on a whole other level…

Michael