Best Chiantis in 2010??

The grounds are gorgeous. Too bad they don’t have apartments. My wife likes to cook.

They certainly look great. Sorry I missed them last year.

The other thing I would add here if you are looking for 2010’s from Tuscany is don’t forget the Rosso’s (assuming you can still find them in the market). The Rosso di Montalcinos from Salicutti and Stella di Campalto were both very good when I tried them, and I think either is capable of aging another decade effortlessly.

In checking back on my Chianti TNs from this vintage, I did like the already mentioned Felsina CCR, and I also liked the base level Castello di Farnetella (a CCS). When I tried the Castell 'in Villa, it was drinking very tight/young.

I was not a fan of the Gabbiano CCR, or the Rocca di Castagnoli, or the Castello di Bossi - all okay, but nothing special. I have seen good comments on the Castagnoli, so perhaps I just caught it at a bad time.

Thanks Jeff, good to know. I might buy a couple more to squirrel away while they are still readily available…

Definitely. Sorry I passed on it expecting the 2010 to be even better.

I tried the 2010 CC at a big tasting a few months ago. Plenty of opportunity to open up and it was beautiful.

After going to a 2010 tasting, I went deep on Castello di Ama.

Have you tasted the 2010 Rancia?

Nate,

for 2010, you should definitely pick up a few bottles of the Monsanto CCR. Wait until later this year for Monsanto’s CCR “Il Poggio”.

Castello di Ama made some great chianti classico. Have not tried anything else by them.

I always like Castell’in Villa too.

To Katrina,

I picked up a 3 pack of '99 fontodi CC a few years ago, and each has been a joy to drink – make sure to decant for sediment!

I have, but just once–felt pretty tight on that occasion. The base CCR came off as much more open to me (also only had once).

Have you had a different experience?

I have had 4 bottles now of the 2010 Felsina Rancia and they were all open, in fact amazingly expressive. I would say much more open than the CCR I had, although that was nice to drink in a certain style as well.

The Rancia has some good (although very fine) tannins there, which suggests it will age well, so I am guessing it will get even better with time (unless in the nearer term it shuts down). Anyway, a seductive wine…

Kind of surprised that the Rancia is open.

While not in the same class of those Chianti already mentioned, the Monsanto Riserva is quite a QPR and can age.

I bought 3 btls of Boncies Le Trame 2010 on account of their 2006 being stunningly beautiful now, but haven’t tried the 2010s yet. Any fans of it here?

Just Bought 4 2010 Rancia at PC for $38 per and in stock. There are 7 left.

I took the opportunity to buy a couple of the 2010 Chianti designated as Gran Selezione, the Castello di Ama Chianti Classico Gran Selezione San Lorenzo and San Felice Chianti Classico Riserva Il Grigio Gran Selezione. Has anyone tasted those or other 2010 Gran Selezione Chianti?

In addition to Fontodi and Felsina, I really like Rocca di Montegrossi’s CC Vigneto San Marcellino bottling; I’ve only had the '99 and '04. In '99 it was called a Riserva; in '04, not, for whatever reason; they don’t produce it every year.