Best carbonara recipe?

I also finally came to make it this weekend, but the guanciale being cured, was very salty. A bit too much for my taste. Might have to remove some salt next time.

This is how I do it

I do not use any additional salt in this dish whatsoever.

Definitely on my list for the next time we visit Rome. Key is tempering the yolk as shown in the video. Thanks for posting it.

Really highly recommend Jamie Oliver’s video on YouTube but try pancetta instead of guanciale. It’s amazingly good

Andrew, then it isn’t really carbonara now is it? lol
Guanciale is the key to many of Rome’s great pasta dishes.
cheers!

Where are they from, Südtirol??

I’ve had the pleasure of trying La Quercia’s acorn-fed Berkshire prosciutto with Herb himself when I used to live in Iowa and I can tell you it’s better than most prosciutto you can find in Italy these days.

Five pounds of guanciale arrived this morning with this little gift.
960CCC92-1DAA-4395-9DA3-2EE93BDA854F.jpeg

Picked up some nice guanciale from a local butcher yesterday and thinking of making traditional carbonara tonight. One thing not covered in this thread is what do you all drink with carbonara? It’s decadent, so I don’t make it often, and have little recollection of pairings in the past.
I was going to fall back to Champagne, but open to other ideas. Thanks.

What would you drink if you were having it in Rome? I usually reach for a young Italian red with plenty of acid.

Well, summer of '19 I had it with a young E Pepe Trebbiano at Roscioli. That worked, but wanted to try something else. I like the idea of a young red. Maybe a Montepulciano.

This worked well! And followed the technique and recipe in the video Jan posted on first page of thread.

Sounds absolutely perfect. We’re having carbonara tonight. I can’t wait.

1 Like

Dolcetto or Barbera are sentimental favorites. I also like Barolo or Chianti Classico/Riserva.

I could see Arneis or Gavi working too.

1 Like

Dennis, did you scale up the recipe or was the quantities in the video enough for several portions?

Hi Joe,
Good question. I wrestled with this as he doesn’t include # of servings in recipe/video. I used the exact recipe (about 10 oz dry pasta) and it was enough for probably 4 good sized course servings. I ate a large portion -too much- and prob twice the serving size of the video. My wife ate a more normal portion and we had a big serving+ left over. We ate nothing else before /after. It easily could have been 4 normal first course servings (video size) if it was part of a tasting or followed by a meat course. His recipe calls for a bit much on the guanciale imo. He called for 200gr. The piece I used weighed 178g and it was totally enough.

Perfect, thanks for the insight.

Yes ! We couldn’t nail the final steps and then saw Chef Sarah Cicolini profiled on both Tucci’s Italy show as well as Bobby Flay and Giada’s. Her technique is fantastic and it worked so well.

Arneis (Giacosa) worked very well last night.

Great! Have had that exact wine a couple times and the acid helps cut thru the fat.