Best carbonara recipe?

Thank you, Simon - this is helpful. If only he listed how much pecorino, as well!

In the video, I think he says 20 g of pecorino and 30 g of grana padano for four egg yolks.

1 Like

Perfect, thanks…here’s the kicker, what blows my mind…each of these recipes is for ONE SERVING! Yikes.

Not a low calorie meal, lol. 2 egg yolks, 1/4 cup (or more) of cheese, guanciale, guanciale grease…oh boy, I’m hungry now

As @Kris_Patten will tell you, it ain’t Carbonara if it has cheese other than Pecorino Romano, which is a sheep’s milk cheese. Grana is a cow’s milk cheese, to add further insult to Carbonara!

1 Like

Don’t shoot the messenger! Tell it to this Roman: https://www.instagram.com/luciano_monosilio

Heathen! Especially as a Roman.

1 Like

This thread has turned into an alfredo and cheesy pasta thread. :joy:

Made it tonight, absolutely fantastic (using the video @S_mon_C_h_n posted), paired with a 2015 Hanzell Estate Chardonnay that was singing

1 Like

No pic, but made last night w/ Smoking Goose guanciale.
Better than Coro and La Quercia for me and available in my local super market.
Next thing is to experiment with different offerings of pecorino romano I guess.
For Seattle-ites, i’m guessing Big John’s PFI may have a few things to try.
Unfortunately they moved down on Rainier ave, so not as close any more.

I need to do one more carbonara before the weather really heats up. I find a core component is egg/guanciale over cheese. The eggs we get from the local farm are far superior to what we got in Seattle.

We were just in Rome with a group so food wasn’t the focus. Restaurants picked by where we were when we wanted to eat that could seat us. Meaning not the top rung. Also only a few times tried, so limited data points. Regardless, what I learned is that the version my wife makes is better than what I got in Rome.

Now to master the other three Roman pastas.

It’s a good thought and I do try to be careful not to overdo the cheese. I’ve been using cage free eggs from Stiebrs Farms in Yelm. So pretty good, but surely could be improved. I’ll look around. I did see a video (probably up thread but i’m too lazy to rewatch) about using duck egg yolks, not sure what to think about that.

I think duck egg yolks would force me to cut my portion in half but it sounds like a good idea. In my limited experience with them, they’re so much richer than chicken eggs.

FWIW @J_Diven - Big Johns PFI sells the Smoking Goose products as well as cheese. Yes the new location is a journey and I only hit it when doing something else in that area. Otherwise, Delaurenti’s @ Pike Place Market has both the guanciale and of course a great selection of cheese. Probably worth a quick phone call to verify they have it in stock before making the trip.

1 Like

Already a rich dish…feels like overkill.

2 Likes

I try and do as authentic as possible. Lately I have been mixing pecorino romano with parmigiana reggiano which is done in many of the Roman restaurants. Maybe 60/40 pecorino/parmigiana reg

3 Likes

For authenticity, a particularly fun and often silly subject when it come to Roman pastas, the guanciale here is much too well cooked-not that it matters if you prefer it that way!

I do like the crunch.

This is from a couple of weeks ago. Not sure why I decided to add the long strips of chive but I think it’s due to the fact it’s the only herb I haven’t killed in out in my yard!

Recipe was from Not Another Cooking Show on YouTube. Real guanciale that I purchased on Amazon for like $30!

2 Likes

Dish looks great, and I really enjoy this show on YouTube. Will have to try this one