Best Brisket in Austin?

Oh I am so there!!

Ok, so Austin is a cool town. Lots of smoky meat smells anywhere you walk. Micklethwait was excellent, and their Barbacoa stole the show. But La Barbecue was on another level. The brisket is the best I’ve had, everyone said the sausage at Mickethwait is the best, and it was very good, but the La Barbecue sausage was better. So moist that when you cut the casing, juice just covered to paper below. I didn’t want to order pulled pork, because I live in pulled pork country, but a friend from Michigan wanted some. I was surprised, it is possibly the best pulled pork I’ve had.

My wife likes to give me grief about how much sauce I like to put on things. But I never even tried the La Barbecue sauces, the meat was it’s own rock star. And the free beer was excellent!
LA.JPG

Mad jelly.

Sounds excellent - and your report aligns 100% with my experience. I hit La BBQ a couple weeks ago, and it was mindblowing. I also preferred the La BBQ sausage to the Mickelthwait sausage, although I actually thought the brisket at the two was pretty close.

Interesting - I will guess that the product can vary at times depending on the hunk of meat they acquire, but my Micklethwait brisket falls under that “good” to “very good” category, but I can think of 3-4 places I’ve had better. But I am picking nits here. Their jalapeno grits, however, YUM!

LA BBQ is coming to Los Angeles! woot woot

I saw that on Instagram!

Can’t believe I missed this thread - was just there last week. We went to Lamberts, which was recommended by a UT alum, but probably won’t show up on too many “best brisket” lists. Brisket was solid, but oddly varied - of the 6 thick slices I got, 2 were super tender and tasty, and 4 were chewy.

How long did you wait at LA Barbacue?

Not Scott, but when I was at LA BBQ a few weeks ago, I went at 12:45 or so on a weekday and waited about 5 minutes. I bet it gets bad on weekends but nothing like Franklin.

The day of the week matters, mid-week is best. They open at 11:00 and we got there at 10:45 and waited almost an hour. Free beer and a fun crowd made the time move quickly.