Best Beer Bars in America

+1 having grown up in Wisconsin, they have the local food, cocktails and beer nailed.

The Porter Beer Bar.

If you’re talking free peanuts and pretzels, they no longer do that (or I’ve always missed it over the past 9 years). And the owner you’re talking about must be the former owner; the current owner is a guy named Jim, who’s nice, but also quiet and generally absent from the address; his wife has been a bartender there ever since I started going in early 2004.

As for the Old Fashioned in Madison: I’m surprised to hear there are that many WI brews that may be worth drinking; what are some of the good ones?

Tons of great beers in Wisconsin Brian - not quite Michigan, Colorado, North Carolina, Pennsylvania or the West Coast, but right behind them - Here are some of my current favs -

O’SO BREWING COMPANY -
Out of Stevens Point - very experimental - fabulous new world hop beers, their Imperial Red Ale was one of my favorite beers of last year - watch out for these guys

ALE ASYLUM -
Just moved in to a new 50 million dollar brewery in Madison - big beers, a wonderful Hopalicious, Tripel, etc - even their lighter offerings are a revelations -

LAKE LOUIE BREWERY -
Little guys that are producing terrific lagers and East Coast Style Ales - very clean beers - the Pilsener might be Wisconsin’s best -

POTOSI BREWERY -
A pre-prohibition brewery re-opened and remodeled - average beers until they brought in a young gunslinger from Bells Brewery in Michigan, now the beers are killer plus - even their flagship “Cave Ale” is super drinkable - if this kid stays, this is going to be one of Wisconsin’s top brewers -

ST FRANCIS BREWERY -
Out of tiny St. Francis Wisconsin, not bottling yet, but I run into them at the various beer festivals in Wisconsin I work - terrific Belgian styled ales - everything I’ve had from them is unique -

HINTERLAND BREWERY -
German styled beers produced at a great little brewery in Green Bay. Even bottled in the traditional half liter bottles - a great Helles and Doppelbock - and the brewery has some of the best Pizza I’ve had in years -

TITLETOWN BREWERY -
Also located in Green Bay, and also not bottling yet - but wowser - was just there for a second time a couple weeks ago and had a 15 beer sampler that just blew me away - from their Pils to their IPA - these were superb beers -

Notice I didn’t even mention New Glaris, Sprecher, LakeFront or Capitol? They are still making great beers as well, but I am super enthused about these new guys -

There is also some pretty cool stuff coming out of Iowa - Madhouse Brewing, Peace Brewing and Toppling Goliath are making some terrific beers -

Two more names I would add to the list above:

Tyranena. In particular, Rocky’s revenge is almost always on hand for me. But I have enjoyed everything I’ve had from them (6 or 7 so far)
Central Waters. Their barrel-aged stout is fantastic & the porter is tasty.

some favorites:
Hopleaf - Chicago
Churchkey - DC
Monk’s - Philly (sentimental pick)

I’ve been struggling with selection the last few trips to Hay Merchant, Moontower Inn is up there with the best of the country right now. Something like 70 draught selections with absolutely no representation from the Bud or Miller distributors (which does mean a few neat things are missing).

So true Phillip - I love Tyranena’s Brown Ale and all of Central Water’s brews are superb - good call -

While I hate leaving DC and easy access to Churchkey and their family of restaurants, Richmond has a Vietnamese restaurant that’s made a name for itself in the beer world. Mekong used to be a good restaurant, and now it is apparently a world class beer bar, with 50 taps, http://mekongisforbeerlovers.com/

Anyone been?

Minneapolis: Williams Pub and Peanut Bar (althought the crowd is younger than I am) and Muddy Waters
St. Paul: Happy Gnome and Muddy Pig

All have incredibly large tap selection and bottle selection. All have a good pub/bar vibe to them, too. I guess we like places with “muddy” in the name.

That is my first stop every time I visit. (and the last stop, and a few in between). I love that place.

I would agree with the praise for Churchkey. It has been a game changer in DC and most likely in the US for beer bars. Before it opened, I would have said Falling Rock in Denver was the best. Huge draft selection with tons of local beers represented. To me that is one of the most important things I look for in a good beer bar, particularly when I am visiting from out of state.

I also like Public House in the Venetian, Las Vegas.

Also had a recent good time at Meddlesome Moth in Dallas.

Oh Yah - forgot about THE FALLING ROCK - great Beer bar - always a fun menu too -

Has anyone here been to Stone World Bistro in Escondido, CA? Obviously on the site of Stone’s Brewing facility. I haven’t been to any of the places mentioned on this thread (excepting the MSP places) , but this had by far the best combination of breadth and depth of selection I’ve ever seen, and both the draft and bottle list were only about 25% Stone beers.

A huge shout out for Beachwood BBQ and Brewing Co, both the Seal Beach and Long Beach locations.Spectacular taps and bottles of their own beers as well as fantastic guest taps on top of killer BBQ. I also put Naja’s on my list as one of the best anywhere.

Cheers

Bud

Been there 3 or 4 times. It is an excellent place — I love the selection of all the Stone brews they have. Food is very good. Wouldn’t consider putting them amongst the “Best in America”, but maybe because I only consider beer selection and atmosphere as being relevant. If the draft and bottle list are only 25% Stone brews now, they’ve either added more guest selections, or reduced the number of Stone offerings by a few (in lieu of guest selections).

Now, if food is to be considered, then Beachwood is definitely on the list! [drinkers.gif]

No curds? [shock.gif] [thankyou.gif]

I’ve been there, it is great. Maybe the largest collection of taps I’ve ever seen.

Equal to that is Sheffield’s in Chicago’s Lakeview and The Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL.