Best Area to Stay for a few Nights in Berlin

Hmm. Sauerbraten isn’t something that comes to mind when I think of Berlin. I’m sure there are restaurants that serve it, but I know I haven’t seen it on the menu at some places that I’ve been to that serve other dishes that I do associate with Berlin (boulette, schnitzel, eggs in mustard sauce, and of course snacks like currywurst and kebabs). But I’ll ask around.

Thanks Mia. It’s probably more from the Bavarian region of Germany, which is where my father originally came from. I’m also going to be in Nuremberg for a few days. Probably a better place to find it.

perhaps a different version of Sauerbraten for every region in Germany,
ranging from beef to pork to horsemeat…

and Nuremberg will likely dish you up a plate
of Fränkischer Sauerbraten

Yes, there are many regional varieties of Sauerbraten, though if you ask most Germans where they associate it the dish, they will say the Rhineland. James is correct that there is a Franconian version that you should be able to find in Nuremberg. I have had some older people tell me the best Sauerbraten came from Bohemia. Maybe on can still find it in Prague, but that would be another trip.

and i am obliged to recommend one of the chief glories of Nuremberg:

in the corner pub, or in a local-colour-type restaurant
make sure you order a Viertel of the house’s open Silvaner

many wines are more sophisticated, but this stuff
is hard to beat for being just plain delicious –

best comparison would be the bottle of simple Gascon white
i drank at Chez Panisse one fine evening in Berkeley
with the visiting German winegrower i had taken that day
to Bonny Doon and to Ridge for remarkable reds…

nothing had ever tasted better

1 Like

It’s not one of the German dishes I’ve learned to make–my ex is from northern Germany and it isn’t a dish he’d talk about (in the sense of “my mom used to make…”).

Nuremberg: don’t miss the Nuernberger Bratwurst. Yum. If you’ll be in Munich there is a restaurant by the Frauenkirche (on the right side if you are looking at the front of the church) that also serves these little sausages; my brother knew the owners but I think it got sold to a brewery (Augustiner)? Anyway, the sausages were just as good the last time I was there which is now 4 years ago.

I’ve asked a good friend who is Berlin born-and-bred and her suggestions are:
Thomas Eck
Max und Moritz
Hackethal’s
Marjellchen
I have eaten at the first 3 but did not have (or recall) Sauerbraten so am relying on my friend for this.

1 Like

Thanks Mia. That’s really very nice of you. 2-3 look really interesting and in the casual category we’re seeking.

Thank you for this as well. I’m really looking forward to some Nuernberger Bratwurst. Although I’m otherwise travelling through Austria and Germany only with my wife, I’ll be acccompanied in Nuremberg by about 25 other North American and European family members – So, I might not have the flex to go exactly where I want, but I have no doubt I’ll be able to find this in one of the places we eat. Thanks again for all the good ideas!

If it’s like it used to be when I spent time in nearby Erlangen, there are vendors out on the square cooking them up on grills. This ain’t fancy restaurant food :wink:

2 Likes

any time in Vienna, Peter?

I’m not proud. And I know what a bratwurst is. And I’ve been in Nuremberg before. So, no problem.

I went to Max und Moritz the first time because of the connection to the book and Wilhelm Busch. Enjoyed myself at the restaurant, and yes, there are reminders of the book and author around the restaurant. If you have not read the book, you should look out for a copy (it’s been translated into many languages, including English) and I’m sure copies are on line as it is in the public domain. The titular boys have an unhappy ending (they were serious pranksters, but we can perhaps lay final blame on the social conditions at the time).

James - yes, we’ll also be in Vienna for several days. We we’re also there last year and really enjoyed the food. But always open to restaurant suggestions, although I prefer places on the more casual side. But open to all suggestions, if any. Thanks.

in the 201*s i spent three weeks each year for five years in Vienna
reviewing Austrian wines for a couple national magazines…

my favourite restaurant in Vienna is
Zu den Drei Hacken – which is as traditional and casual as they come…
in the Singerstrasse out back of the cathedral

all but the stuffiest Viennese restaurants are on the casual side these days

and even if you are on the other hand feeling fancy, Konstantin Filippou will put you
in the upper echelons of any Michelin-minded ecstasy

also not to be missed is Bitzinger
the hotdog stand between the Albertina Museum and the State Opera House

personal favourites have always been a couple Dalmatian restaurants in the Eighth District –
Konoba and Ilja

I made reservations at Max und Moritz, Marjellchen & Katz Orange. Thanks to all.

1 Like

I already made a September reservation for Katz Orange. Monday night was limiting, and our travel buddies aren’t too keen on big dollars (Euros) for high-end dinners.

Bring cash, and try to read the book before you go!

1 Like

what she said. great book!

Facil and Rutz are great places. Facil is also very good and cheap for lunch.

Don`t go to Katz Orange.