Best $20 Rioja

+1

With a case discount you will get close; one of the most consistent Rioja on the market.

Anthony

seguro que es mejor la traduccion de google que mi ingles

buena eleccion

sure is better google translation of my English

good choice

Muchas gracias, Daniel, y bienvenido al WineBerserkers!

Thanks, Iā€™m to help you, if you need something you question
I have an online store, no need to buy some, the Rioja wine is very good but there are also bad

Please give us a link to your online store. Thanks!

seguro que es mejor la traduccion de google que mi ingles

Itā€™s good enough! Welcome

Anyhow, Ryan, a lot of the wineries over there had cork problems in the 1990s. To be fair, that was also the case in France and Italy, and many of the wineries are well-aware of the issue these days and the incidence is greatly reduced.

As far as ā€œtraditionalā€, it has to be defined. Riscal is one of the oldest wineries over there and their Reserva can age for many years. You can try it going back to the 20s and 40s and 60s and itā€™s still going strong. It is not clear that the new ones will take the same evolutionary path, but you could do far worse than pick up a few bottles from a great vintage like 2001 and 2005. Is it brilliant? I donā€™t know, but itā€™s amazing that they can turn out as much as they do and maintain the quality level.

Murrieta is also a decent value but Iā€™ve been quite disappointed with them recently. In any event, if you want ā€œtraditionalā€, then you need to go to the centenary wineries. Riscal and Murrieta are the oldest, but thereā€™s also CVNE, LdH, Riojanas, BilbaĆ­nas, La Rioja Alta, and Berberana, all of which are pretty consistently good. Then thereā€™s Montecillo, Franco-EspaƱolas, Paternina, Bujanda, Lacuesta, and Paternina, which are less consistent but can sometimes be really surprisingly good. Muga is only from the 1930s, but theyā€™re good enough to include, as is Vina Real, owned by CVNE.

All of the above make wines that should fit the bill. As far as which is the ā€œbestā€, thatā€™s a hard call. A lot of it depends on what the vintage is and when you drink it. One of the best Iā€™ve had was about $9 when purchased and it was the Riscal, many years later.

hello, I will introduce more wine, I have advised two wineries that go with lower prices and have a very good wine but first I have to do the tasting

+2

A great producer, IMHO, and have been following Muga for a while. They age nicely, and can be drunk young with air. Pay the 22 bucks or so. It is worth it.

happens to me I think the muga wine, 100% recommended

+1 on red & white on any current releaseā€¦havenā€™t had the opportunity to try the roseā€™ .

+3

My ā€˜go toā€™ Rioja. As Pat mentioned, does well with some age. Affordable enough to lay some down, too!

a great rioja buy

My neighbors and I shared a bottle of the 2010 Baron de Ley ā€˜Reservaā€™ [Rioja] with a plate of Manchego & Tipsy Goat cheese this afternoon. I had not tried this estate before, but we all liked it, and the bottle was consumed easily and quickly. It is not overly modern, nor tartly traditional. It is well balanced, and at age 9, remains fresh and youthful, with a purplish hue. These folks generally only drink California wine, and are always surprised by Old World wines they like. I liked it but havenā€™t seen it around before.

My neighbors and I shared a bottle of the 2010 Baron de Ley ā€˜Reservaā€™ [Rioja] with a plate of Manchego & Tipsy Goat cheese this afternoon. I had not tried this estate before, but we all liked it, and the bottle was consumed easily and quickly. It is not overly modern, nor tartly traditional. It is well balanced, and at age 9, remains fresh and youthful, with a purplish hue. These folks generally only drink California wine, and are always surprised by Old World wines they like. I liked it but havenā€™t seen it around before.

Great thread. Subscribing for my own uses in the future. Thanks for the advice

Vina Alberdi is my go to at around $20. Marques de Murrieta Reserva is also a nice option. I havenā€™t seen LdH Cubillo under $24 in agesā€¦

Muga is my go to ever vintage. Got the 2012 for $8 a bottle which is stealing!!!

2012 Bodegas Muga Rioja Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (2/10/2019)
Big Top Closeout Deal Wines; 11/22/2018-2/16/2019 (Minneapolis/ St. Paul MN): Day 1: Really drinking well with funk, raspberries, leather, earth and tobacco. Medium plus finish and good acidity. Really well made. 91 points
Day 2: More funk on day two and acidity is even more impressive. Balanced wine and at a perfect window right now. Nice mix of fruit and earth elements. 91 points
Day 3: Even better on day 3. Sublet funk, leather, raspberries, blueberries and earth. Medium plus finish and balanced. A wonderful old school Rioja. 92 points
Recommendation: Drink now to 2024. This has some serious life left. (91 points)
2012 Bodegas Muga Rioja Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (9/24/2018)
Day 1: Showing really well. Oak has settle down some. Nice fruits featuring Bing cherries and ripe plums. Leather, floral and pipe tobacco. Good acidity and medium plus finish. This wine has been a winner every year for me. One of the best from Spain for the money!
Day 2: Day 2 even more vibrant. Cherry, raspberries, spice, leather and mint. Medium plus finish. 91 points
Day 3: This wine has not missed a beat. Really nice leather and earth component on the finish. For under $20 it is hard to beat a wine like this. 91 plus

Recommendation: I would drink one now if you have several and compare over the next few years the evolution this wine will show. If one hold for 3 years and I think you will be rewarded. (91 points)
2012 Bodegas Muga Rioja Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (1/20/2018)
Pop and pour. Medium purple in color. Drinks well right out of the gate. Underbrush, floral, subtle spice and dark fruits. Very concentrated wine and decant acidity. Medium plus finish. Should evolve nicely over three days. 90 points
Day 3 review and this is even better. Balanced and elegant. Floral, underbrush, spices and red currants. Nice use of oak and a complex wine. Medium finish. Hold for a few more years unless you drink it over the course of 3 days. 91 points (91 points)
2012 Bodegas Muga Rioja Reserva - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (11/6/2016)
Always good. Ripe fruits and modern in style. Some earth and medium plus finish. Should age 3 to 5 more years. (90 points)