Berserker's views on Neal Martin

I like his Sauternes notes, in general. Like most people (myself certainly included), they can be more variable with younger Sauternes, but that’s the wine’s fault, not his.

I met Neal a number of times. He has an excellent palate and is a really nice guy. As others stated , his palate varies a bit from Bob. The best way to put is his Figeac scores are higher than Bobs and his Pavie scoares are lower than Bobs. I don’t think he will have the kinda influence that Bob once had. He is younger so his palate is fresher.

Wm - no mistrust, just curious.

I’d echo what Jay said. In addition, he impressed me when he was handed coverage of Spain, a country he didn’t know at all and didn’t particularly appreciate. First thing he did was not hand out crazy scores. He actually set about learning all he could, visiting, tasting, talking, reading, and not issuing any reviews. He was the first writer at the WA to do that and to learn anything at all about the place. And apparently the first to realize that it was not pretty much the equivalent of Gigondas but was an entire country with vastly different regions. And when he started publishing reviews, they were thoughtful. His tenure didn’t last long, but it was an auspicious start. We corresponded a few times and I thought he was going to be a very credible reviewer.

But it’s not like you can say oh he likes this kind of wine and not that. Nobody is that simple. Parker isn’t as simple as he’s made out to be either. As to whether he’s likely to have the same influence? My guess is definitely not. Parker came when the US was waking up to wine and France was the reigning champ. That’s no longer the case. There are many people who drink a lot of wine and never drink Bordeaux at all, and rarely drink anything from France, and who are quite confident in their own preferences. In addition Neal is British and he has a bit of the aloof Brit about him. Personally I like that, but it doesn’t really resonate with most readers. If it did, Jancis would be much more influential as a critic than she is.

Will big investors drop money based on his reviews? Who knows. Suckling is too clownish to be taken seriously and Galloni is nakedly ambitious, and neither they nor anyone else is a kind of consensus figure like Parker, so maybe the backing of Parker will go a long way. I imagine producers will be trumpeting all kinds of scores for a few vintages just to see who gets traction. Maybe some currently unknown Chinese critic will emerge.

William,

I agree with the others. Neal is a good writer and a nice guy. You’ve subscribed to TWA for twenty plus years, so presumably have read his reviews. What do you think of them? Do they align with your palate?

Regarding Neal’s impact, no single person will ever again drive the wine market like Parker. This is a good thing.

to the OP: are you trying to understand NM for the goals of earning money via buying/selling wine? or to see if he be a reliable guide to finding wines you might enjoy drinking?

I see those as different goals.

PS: I’m not casting aspersions – Wine consumers need the entire ecosystem / supply chain.

Great guy. I followed his advice from when he was a young kid with his wine journal and have never been disappointed with what I bought… Refreshing to see a normal, amenable, nice, fun, unpretentious… person succeeding. Good luck to him and probably a better person to follow than late Bobby as I believe his tastes are more main stream. The king is dead, long life to the king… (even if the kingdom may shrink a little…)

And I don’t think he intends to drive the market.

Ref Bordeaux, I still think it is the biggest area making great fine wines in the world, it is just a pity prices went excessive. There are other regions making great wines but not on such a scale and professionalism. This being said, I prefer Burgundy (unfortunately given prices) over all ther regions.

His TNs are well-written, and (in my limited experience) I’ve gotten some really good wine because of them, for ex the Navarro Correas listed below. From his writings and what people say, he sounds like a very likable fellow, though I’ve never met him.

Exactly, could we please stick to rating him out of 100 points :slight_smile:

[welldone.gif] [winner.gif]

This is really so eye opening , insightful and greatly appreciated. I am just waking up so I’ll come back when words and thoughts flow more easily. I’m just having that morning coffee, Thank you so this well thought out eye opening information.

I have to discount myself and my view because I am just put off by his style. He writes about himself, events in his life, music, his family as he works his way into wine. By the time I get to the wine I’ve lost interest.
I am aware I have a very prejudiced view of his writing and ability. I remember his review the very first time he tasted in U.K. at the annual DRC tasting and I thought “how dare he with no reference point.” I thought this is the very first time he has tasted DRC, what frame of reference. That offended me and I found his recent notes where he took the same view of other reviewers he meets at the very same location in UK for the annual DRC tasting, “How dare they make any review”, .
i found some of his Bordeaux tasting notes so far off it was a “are you kidding me?” I thought to myself.
So I have discounted myself as any value of clear thought, I’ve obviously been turned against him without giving him a wide enough breadth.
I also am aware I am like other human beings, change is difficult. Parker was convenient , he was part of the rhythm that made up our lives, we knew what and when to expect. Now what? He comes across as a Millennial and lacks depth and a view out, that generation is so taken by themselves. So for those reasons I discount myself which is why the comment on these pages have been so valuable and eye opening for me.
I’m afraid the ‘trade’ I interact with through out Asia and France has a similar view of Neal Martin. I wrote last night to some of the major Chateaux and negociants what they plan to do with Neal Martin without Parker for next weeks Bordeaux tasting.
They said it is a good vintage, not classic, they will rely on W.S., Tanzer, Galloni, and Neal Martin and word of mouth.
But no one knows how they will price the vintage. having lost money or earned so very little selling E.P. I really hope I can discipline myself to stay away.
I cannot tell you how valuable these comments are, as I am taking them of representative of what many others who are more open then I are also receiving Mr. Martin.
I had believed so much of the trade I spoke with did not respect him. Or they fooled me.

I’m a great fan of Neal’s work for all the reasons others have stated. I’ve never met him but his style of writing suits me perfectly and our tastes in music often overlap. I enjoy the idiosyncrasy - but precisely because that’s what it is, the total opposite of a universal one-size-fits-all standard fare. Obviously Neal’s work can’t be to everyone’s taste.
I’m a particular fan of his annual Cru Bourgeois report - nobody else does it better. I also admire the way he has diligently researched every region he has been assigned to, tasting and writing without prejudice and without any preconceived ideas about how he should rate the wines.

I think the next few months could prove crucial for him. Up until now, Neal has had the best of both worlds: he’s essentially a blogger, independently minded and with a quickfire insouciance (along with all his other tasting and writing qualities), yet his position as part of the WA team has given him the access, gravitas and means (not to mention the material benefits) that a blogger can only dream of, with none of the responsibility that comes with the position of being the top dog of a big publication.
No disrespect to either Neal or the regions he has covered, but he hasn’t cemented his place in any of them as a reference point, partly because he has never covered them for long enough.

The only region he has covered over many years is Bordeaux. I take much greater heed of his reviews than those of RMP, because NM’s taste is closer to mine, but also because he doesn’t have an agenda as yet: there’s no trumpet blowing. But the idea of his work being an “independent republic” or whatever in the world of TWA is just kerfuffle - something that was possible because his was merely an alternative view. None of his reviews of Bordeaux have shifted any opinions. When he steps into the tasting rooms for the 2014 EP wines, he will do so in the knowledge that his work needs to gain the universal credibility it lacks. Whether or not he can do that remains to be seen.

Jeez,
Very well thought out and I am just amazed and pleased to learn of the respect and in-depth awareness Berserkers have.
this has been quite helpful and eye-opening.
I fear I am as opinionated as the next fellow and on one hand recognize the valuable insights being offered are based on far more knowledge and awareness than my prejudice, I just do not see a shift in my heart as yet. Maybe I’m too old.

Thank you so much for taking the time, I will accept his reviews with much more weight because of these comments, although i am not prepared to read them or utilize his scores or quotes - atleast not without begrudging my dilemma. That is part of my heritage anyway.

I’ve met him at a tasting of old Madeira. I agree, he seemed a very nice and personable guy. Our Madeira notes don’t match, however.

That has been my largest point of separation with his views. I find that it is the same for me as well.

Besides his writing style places him personally in the forefront and the wine in the background - that is merely my impression personally.

However, so many people on this site who sound to not only be knowledgeable but they are coming from some great depth on the subject - wine, they find for many reasons much value in Neal’s writing and views.
So I imagine I am finding he personally puts me off in his writing style and approach and I found his tasting notes not in harmony with my experience.

i have no idea to judge what kind of guy he is - and that is not my concern.

look what has become of Mr. Parker. I do not want to be the cause of this getting off topic, just meant to say Mr. Parker’s notes are very helpful inspite of how life has taken him on a path that he could easily loose touch.

So I imagine I am finding he personally puts me off in his writing style and approach and I found his tasting notes not in harmony with my experience.

Well that’s the issue isn’t it? Style matters. I wouldn’t suggest that he change it because it’s honest and it’s him, but it may not be to everyone’s taste. Nor was Parker’s. I think one of the reasons the Brits were so offended by Parker was his style. He was unashamedly enthusiastic when he liked something. None of the reticence you’d expect from a “mature” critic.

Hedonistic, gobs of fruit, superb, etc. He let himself be enthusiastic. Americans related to that. Brits didn’t. It’s not like one way is better or worse. Neal has his own style. For better or worse, that might end up mattering more than his palate.

But did you fall asleep on his shoulder? [wow.gif] [berserker.gif]

I am watching him with interest, assuming he continues to review Burgundy, as I do not buy Bordeaux.
I like that he is not afraid to give otherwise well known Burgs scores in the 80’s, especially in his enjoyable Up From The Cellar series. And I will watch what he does with Oregon, assuming he still is assigned that region, as it will be interesting to see a Eurocentric palate taste through Oregon Pinot Noir.

People on Berserkers have taken the time to compose sincere thoughtful responses, I would like to understand why you would choose to make a remark such as this rather than contribute anything of value? You enjoy killing spiders? You hide on the internet and make sarcastic comments? Other members have really invested them self in sharing their view and experiences and you come along like a 10 year old.
You can make a positive contribution can’t you?

I am glad we have you here now to police us William.