BerserkerFest 8.0 - Santa Barbara/SRH Nov 21-23 #berserkerfest

I have to be in Chicago on Thanksgiving. If Dan Hammer can show me how to do NY to LA to Chicago to NY for not a lot of extra money, I might give it a try.

I’ll admit to selfish decisions regarding date - that’s about the only weekend I could make it. Of course if far more can do it in October, we should still hold it - I just won’t be able to go, most likely. If many can’t make it because it is the weekend before Thanksgiving, let’s move it and have more show.

Can’t have it without the fearless leader.

There have been a couple I haven’t been to, but not many! I’d sure like to make this one.

Challenge accepted.

Send me the following:

If purchasing a ticket, your airline of preference.
If using miles, and you’ll need lots of them to fly erev Thanksgiving, send me your airline preference.

Instead of a stamped self addressed envelope, send fruit juice to:

General Delivery
White Plains 10605

I’d try to make it if my kids and work schedule permits…

November is the perfect time to be on the central coast! The vineyards are a golden hue and the weather is lovely. Especially on the coast.

Nikki, I’ll totally help you with this gurrrl! xxoo

Andrea and I will be in town, we can make it [cheers.gif]

Looks like there is definite interest, and this crazy scavenger hunt idea is right up my alley, and Jen will LOVE it…

FIFY. You and your damn typos.

The pizza we had at Carg’s place on Saturday was out of this world. He has a really nifty wood burning oven (home made?), the pizza went in, and “seconds” later out came perfection!!!

He’s not too shabby at BBQ either. [thumbs-up.gif]

Thanks Peter.

The oven comes from Italy, its not complicated to make. http://www.mugnaini.com/residential-exterior-ovens-photo-gallery/

The pizza was basically Neapolitan style, I make the dough with 00 flour, water, yeast and salt; ahead to let the starches and gluten align. It’s proven, simple technique from Napoli.

I can’t take credit for the pizzas, fortunately Kara took over so I could grill. I don’t care what they say… Kara is alright. :astonished:
We had fresh bottle of EVOO, fresh burrata and mozzarella, etc.

The bbq was traditional ranchero/Italian/Swiss Italian farmers rub. Salt, pepper, garlic, rosemary, parsley. That is the traditional rub my Nona taught me (typically wet with wine or vinegar and evoo) but you can do it as a dry rub outta the cupboard. That comes down from the Italian and Swiss Italian ranchers/farmers of the Central Coast.

My grill has a 1400 degree infrared burner. Its hotter than white coals. That’s why the meat was juicy and tender. It’s just searing the meat at high temperature to seal in the juices, then moving it to the indirect heat to cook. Easy, simple. (The infrared burner is how most of the high end steak houses not using hardwood/coal, grill their steaks.)

It was fun hanging out, drinking and cooking for you all. I’ll save that bottle of Clos Pepe Sparkling for your return!

Sounds like fun; I might be able to make it in Nov.

Blow out at the Carg ranch? I’m down and so is the band.

Sorry, but searing meat does not seal in the juices, according to the world’s most famous food scientist. I’m not trying to pick on you, but tired if hearing this wive’s tale propagated:

We’ve lost people before. But that’s all in the past. Since we started mandatory search parties at the end of festivities, we’ve only had to deal with hypothermia and the rare but occasional recovery of an overly enthusiastic person falling off a cliff. (Ask T-Bone.)

Nikki’s working on a great, fun, scavenger hunt concept for during the day. And in the evening we can play, “find the berserker” (before the mountain lions or frostbite do.)

I didn’t know that. I understand the Maillard reaction, but that then, and the short cooking duration, are mainly what’s going on.

Peter, next time? You need fancier ingredients. Jus’ sayin.

Ron, I couldn’t see any actual proven science in that article, and the reference to pores is a bit of a red herring, nobody I know says that sealing meat closes the pores. It does seem intutive that a surface with a hard crunchy layer would be less pervious to juices than a surface without the layer.

I find another way to help keep in the juices is to turn the steak every two minutes.