Berserkerday Pig Roast Santa Barbara Lompoc Whatever Day One

Here’s Sasha with a cluster of pinot noir. They are small up there… 1 to 2 tons per acre yield. These were at 19 brix and they plan on picking from 22 through 23 brix in two weeks.

He said the “last really good” piece of land in SRH is that brown hillside on the far right. Owned by a doctor in Pennsylvania and sitting on a goldmine. (figuratively)
FB_IMG_1502139477930.jpg

What’s the dogs name?

A pig in Lompoc?

About 1/3 way through the notes… None from the pig roast, that was play time.

• 2011 Flying Goat Cellars Pinot Noir Rancho Santa Rosa Vineyards - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (8/7/2017)
    Love the cinnamon and spice aroma. Light spice on the palate with red berries and strawberry/rhubarb. Medium oak toasting. Very nice.
  • 2011 Flying Goat Cellars Pinot Noir Salisbury Vineyards - USA, California, Central Coast, San Luis Obispo County (8/7/2017)
    More oak on this bottling than the others. Leaner fruit profile with black cherry and raspberries. Tiny rounded tannins.
  • 2012 Flying Goat Cellars Pinot Noir Dierberg Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (8/7/2017)
    Very enjoyable. Strawberry aroma from the glass. Great clarity, must have racked it perfectly. Strawberry and cherry fruit with a smokey wrapper.
  • 2012 Mosby Stelline di Erbaluce - Italy (8/7/2017)
    Super fine bubbles, very light on the palate. Medium plus mouthfeel, I’m impressed. While there’s nice fruit it’s Brut in style with a chalky mineral note supporting the finish. Okay, I’ll buy a bottle.
  • 2012 Palmina Rea IV Rosso - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (8/7/2017)
    Palmina spin on a super Tuscan with Cabernet and Sangiovese with a bit of malbec and merlot. Just at the edge of the ripeness profile with dark plum, lots of concentration and fine gritty tannins. Very dark color. Decent of you like the plum flavors.
  • 2012 Palmina Sangiovese Undici - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (8/7/2017)
    Didn’t know it was sangiovese when I tasted it and scratched out “saddle and light cherry”. Well, I guess that’s sangiovese for me in four words or less. Fine tannins. Came across a little fruit pushing sweet.
  • 2013 Flying Goat Cellars Pinot Noir Rio Vista Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/7/2017)
    This is spicy on the nose and palate, lots of complexity and I think it’s excellent. Black pepper and bing/dark cherry flavors with a touch of molasses which I’m not usually a big fan of but it’s good juice. Tart fruit ending with a hint of oak.
  • 2013 Mosby Cortese - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (8/7/2017)
    This is unique and very complex wine. Relating to another varietal it comes across between a Grenache Blanc and Riesling. Medium yellow, glycerin nose and a big stripe of salinity through the middle. Juicy citrus flavors.
  • 2013 Palmina Barbera Walker Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (8/7/2017)
    Would have guessed Syrah but without the tannic structure. Sour cherry fruit and anise. NR (flawed)
  • 2014 Mosby Marche IGT - Italy, Marche, Marche IGT (8/7/2017)
    One of the nine million Italian varietals I’ve never heard of but excited to taste. Sweet syrup nose with a hint of fresh cut veggies. Light gold color. Apricot and melon flavors with a veggie note at the need, like a snap pea.
  • 2014 Palmina Dolcetto - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (8/7/2017)
    Bright ruby/garnet color. On the leaner side for a typical dolcetto which is nice as it shows more nibble. Looks and smells like a Pinot Noir. A little cherry jolly rancher pokes out but it’s still a nice wine. Fine tannins and a long finish.
  • 2015 Flying Goat Cellars Pinot Gris Sierra Madre Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (8/7/2017)
    All steel and the cleanliness is reflected. Light peach color. Sweet tree fruit with medium acid resulting in a clean palate. There’s a sharp mineral note at the finish.
  • 2015 Palmina Cortese - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (8/7/2017)
    Very light fruit and a showing of minerals across the finish. Soft mouthfeel. Just okay
  • 2015 Palmina Friulano Tocai Friulano Honea Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/7/2017)
    Intriguing black tar nose. Low acidity and came across as flabby Built more like a red than white wine.
  • 2016 Mosby Pinot Grigio - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (8/7/2017)
    Attractive perfume nose. Decent acidity with a citrus and lime rind. This is a very nice summer wine or for seafood. Fermented in stainless.
  • 2016 Palmina Vermentino - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (8/7/2017)
    Sweet and creamy without any bit. Low acidity. I guess it’s a vermantino for those that don’t want an edge on their whites.

Posted from CellarTracker

Wow, had NO idea all those Palminas were there. Obviously I tried very little…

They were at the Palmina tasting room in the ghetto. Chris and went to Palmina and Flying Goat the first afternoon.

I also have notes from visits to Liquid Farm, Sanford, LaFond, and Domaine de la Cote to write up.

I get around. LOL

hussy.

So bummed I was not able to take part in the festivities . . . but so happy to see so many familiar and happy faces enjoying the area that I love and call home! Also great to see T-Bone and Peter out there - it’s been too long . . .

Keep the photos and notes coming - and no notes on the pig? What is wrong with you folks?!?!?!?

About 2/3 of the way through the crumpled scraps of notes.

• 2007 Sanford Chardonnay La Rinconada Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    They’re blowing this out on sale in the tasting room. It’s obviously headed downhill so drink now if you purchase or own. Dark gold color and looking oxidized. Nose has a hint of oxidation and a nuttiness to it. Low acidity, this is the problem. Toasty finish with caramel
  • 2011 Sanford Pinot Noir La Rinconada Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    Wow, how did they make this wine in ‘11? It’ s very dark, super concentrated. Nose has an interesting mossy element. Very sweet and light tannins.
  • 2013 Sanford Brut Cuvée - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    25% Chardonnay and 75% Pinot Noir. Aromatic anise with green apple and bright acidity. This is really good stuff. Definitely taste like a Brut as it’s fairly dry.
  • 2013 Sanford Chardonnay La Entrada - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    Aromas are muted but there’s a spicy jalapeño, yellow fruit, and vanilla flavors. Lightly oak on the backend.
  • 2013 Sanford Fleur du Domaine - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    Rousanne, Marssan, and viognier so a true Rhone white blend. Very good with nice mineral reflection combined with tree fruit. Good complexity.
  • 2013 Sanford Pinot Blanc Sierra Madre Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (8/8/2017)
    Pretty yellow color. Good mineralized palate with tangy tropical fruit. Aged in neutral oak barrels. Good.
  • 2013 Sanford Viognier Sanford & Benedict Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    Lightly colored yellow and a tropical nose. High acidity and citrus with yellow apple flavors. Very interesting.
  • 2014 Liquid Farm Chardonnay Golden Slope - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    Very good and great complexity. This combines the best of both the White Hill and Four into a single bottle. Nice acidity, with high salinity and a hint of caramel and vanilla. Very good balance and finish.
  • 2014 Sanford Pinot Noir Sanford & Benedict Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    Crimson colored and an attractive nose. Spicy and black pepper wrapped with cherry and red berries. Gentle tannins. Drinking well now. Not excited about the $70 tariff.
  • 2014 Sanford Sauvignon Blanc - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (8/8/2017)
    Nose of wet hay, freshly mowed. Yellow pear flavors and light acidity, very light, which leads to a heavier mouthfeel than something high in acid. Not enough for me.
  • 2015 Liquid Farm Chardonnay Bien Bien - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (8/8/2017)
    Great apple and lime, a little more flesh on this one and not the salinity but finishes extremely clean.
  • 2015 Liquid Farm Chardonnay Four - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    Baked apples and spice. Light woody flavor and oak terpins. Full mouthfeel and spicy. Although not flabby it doesn’t have the tension of the leaner bottlings.
  • 2015 Liquid Farm Chardonnay La Hermana - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Maria Valley (8/8/2017)
    Might be my favorite of the lineup. Medium plus acidity and very clean / sharp. Interesting lemon, lime, and tropical fruit especially pineapple. Very good.
  • 2015 Liquid Farm Chardonnay White Hill - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    I’ve always liked this style best in the Liquid Farm lineup as I have a preference for the acid driven wines although the La Hermana was outstanding too. Beautiful nose of light fruit. Palate is citrus, lemon/lime. Medium acidity, lean and crisp. Steel and neutral oak.
  • 2015 Liquid Farm Pinot Noir SMV Solomon Hills & Bien Nacido - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    First year for this bottling and well done. Cranberry color. The nose smells like “basil” but it’s really more like Marijuana. Skunky! Charcoal and mineral foundation. Red Apple and Raspberry fruit with a spicy bite at the ending. Excellent.
  • 2015 Liquid Farm Pinot Noir SRH Radian & Sanford & Benedict - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    Crimson colored. Ripe berry nose. Cherry and some cola with a jolly rancher quality. A bit of heat on the backend and jalapeño. Not as good as the SMV.
  • 2016 Liquid Farm Mourvedre Rosé Vogelzang - USA, California, Central Coast, Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara (8/8/2017)
    Light peach colored, similar to previous vintages. Peach and stone fruit with light salinity. As always, very good.
  • 2016 Sanford Pinot Noir - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (8/8/2017)
    Nose comes across as fruit cocktail. It’s sweet in style, waste of good Pinot noir IMHO. Short finish. Easy pass, get something for Trader Joe’s for $7 instead.

Posted from CellarTracker

You’ll need a lot more than a couple Bonnes Mares and a Malconsorts to qualify as a Canadian, my boy!

Many suspicious-looking characters in those photos. Your last sunset shot is spectacular, Todd.

Thanks for all the TNs, Brig, will peruse closely when I have a few moments.

Salud,

Mike

Saturday evening Peter Cargassachi contemplates his place in the annals of millenia of Pigsmoking Masters.

(Tried to repost this, my favorite photo of the weekend, in all four rotations and it always shows up with him seeming to be in a Gemini capsule)
file-3.jpg

Todd and T Bone just sat on their butts all weekend and let the events take care of themselves. I think it’s cool that he can make flames shoot out of his crotch.
20170805_192407.jpg

Seriously several people worked VERY hard before and during the event to make this work and I reaped the benefits and had a terrific time.

As did everyone else.
20170805_193042.jpg

Among recent releases: Solomon Hills chardonnay and Halcon pinot and Paul Bara Rose’ and Liquid Farm “Four” were my very pleasant surprises of the weekend.

The Burgundies I opened Friday (see OP) were good, but three of the four I opened Saturday were useless, a beef broth 76 Musigny, a probably cooked 99 Beze, and a very corked 95 Suchots. 96 Chambertin was correct. Neil walked me through some excellent and surprising 2007 Sea Smokes that were restrained and spoke of terroir. But overall on Saturday, at both Liquid Farm and the pig roast, the whites/rose’s/sparklers really shone.

And unlike the SF Bay Area offlines I attend, including those I host, this mostly SoCal group has a high percentage of women (happily married) and it definitely makes for more laughs and smiles (I went alone, thereby donating an extra $75). Our dancing in the bar Saturday night to the excellent DJ would have been dumb with all guys, for example. This weekend was definitely not focused on discussing the nuances of each wine. Corked? Venue change? Who cares? On to the next one! Let’s swim/dance/eat/scary humanoid pig/scary Miocene cliffs/ shoot pool/unlimited breakfast/maritime breezes everywhere/look at that vineyard sunset! look at that moon!/fun people/and some great and varied wine. I was truly sad to leave.

Thanks gents for such a fun & delicious afternoon!!
So many delicious wines; fantastic generosity by all - especially the hosts.
Grazie Mille
Kurt

brigcampbell
Subscriber

Berserkerday Pig Roast Santa Barbara Lompoc Whatever Day One

Post #13 Unread postby brigcampbell » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:34 am

jnbrown wrote:
Looks like a fun time. I love Lompoc.

People that live in Lompoc don’t even say that. [wow.gif]

Aren t most of the people who sleep in Lompoc in prison??