Berserker Day Buyer's Survey 2021 - Results

That’s interesting, and actually good to hear. I have often seen newcomer producers not seeming to get as much attention as some of the more established long time participants. Wondered if something could be done to bring more attention to newcomers, like a lottery entry you get for buying from one of them.

2 Likes

According to survey responses, 57% of buyers bought from newcomers which is pretty high. I know from speaking with several new BD sellers, they were quite happy with the response and amazed at how busy they were. One thing I did not really consider before is that many buyers don’t comment so we don’t necessarily see how big the response is to an offer.

1 Like

That’s something that I didn’t realise coming into my first BD. I had a producer I bought from email me and thank me for my order and ask that if possible I respond to the offer on the forum because it helps drum up attention to it. I gladly obliged. Might be something worth while to note in the FAQ/basic info about BD, if its not ncluded already

I second that. There’s a long list of worthy candidates, maybe some are looking to expand their reach? Ravines comes to mind.

There are two small production up and comers who I would also love to see in BD if it would work for them: Chepika (joint effort of Nathan Kendall and Pascaline Lepeltier) and Garagiste. Both are doing amazing work with hybrids. The latter is not FLX, they are in Vermont, but they are definitely a worthy East Coast candidate.

I’m kinda fascinated by Garagista … have not bought yet but keep looking at their offerings. What are your favorites?

I think the fact that you make great wines had something to do with you getting to vintage 4 also… champagne.gif

1 Like

Had my first Sabelli-Frisch today, 2019 La Malinche Mission, really lovely. Similar to Pinot, yet with its own unique notes. And surprising flavor for such a pale color. I will seek out more.

1 Like

My experience is limited because they are hard to come by and they ain’t cheap. That said, I’ve had Pet-Nats that were quite good (red and rose). I’ve also had a red blend, the Damejeanne, which was fascinating. It’s a steep tariff, but they certainly changed my mind about the potential for hybrids.

And I’ll correct the record: as usual, I misspelled their name, it’s Garagista.

1 Like

I’m curious if anyone found the results a surprise – or expected something to rank higher?

Are there items on your wish list for future Berserker Days? I see mentions of Finger Lakes wineries - are there others you’d like to see included?

I made 4 purchases. Two were new to me and two I’ve purchased from in prior BD’s.

Biggest issue for me > shipping cost to New York.
Second biggest issue > purchasing a 6 pack because the winery didn’t make a 3 pack available. I’d ask the winery to offer both options, because I’d like to try your wine.

dh

1 Like

Looking at the data, I am not surprised at all, except by how many people skipped that one question.

As for other items, I mention Finger Lakes, but beyond that I would always like more food items.

Having Ridge involved is really cool. It could be fun if one or two more “old guard” producers participated. I really like the mix of long time participants and newbies. Makes for interesting options in the cellar. Might be worth seeing if Jake Bilbro (Limerick Lane) wants to do something with his Revelshine project. Hmm…get Idlewild and Marietta on board as well, and all three brothers could participate.

1 Like