Bern's as solo diner [with update]

?! What rock have you been living under :wink:

Personally, I find it rude to go into a restaurant of the caliber of Bern’s, which possesses such a talented group of wine servers and ask that you open the wine. But maybe that’s just me.

Francois is a legend. It is an honor to let him open any wine he wants.

Knowing Brad and Eric, I’m sure they enjoyed the interplay with Francois. He was not ordering the Caymus.

James,
I am not arrogant, by no mean.
But when Brad, whom I respect, began to open the wines that I had ordered which were of 1918, 1893 and 1895, I asked him if I could operate because I saw that with his tools we would have problems.

And it is the intelligence of Brad, and his immense openness, which made him accept that I operate. He looked how I did and was convinced that he would never have had the same result.

And imagine a man who is at the head of a fantastic cellar who told me after the first dinner: “when you come back, tell me your desire, I will make a selection of 50 bottles, you will choose what you want and you will open as you wish”.

And it is what we did. And he was the one who oriented the light in a proper way in order that I have enough light to open the wines that I had chosen.

The relation with Brad was completely friendly and natural. For the first dinner, at 3 pm we spent one hour to study together the wine list and we talked and talked.
For the second visit I visited the main cellar which is not the cellar which is in the restaurant, and we spent two or three hours together. He was pleased to meet me as I was pleased to meet him.

If there was not this friendly atmosphere I would never had asked to open wines by myself.
So, no arrogance, just friendship.

A great big giant one. Missed opportunity, reason to go back and play more golf and drink some wine I guess.

Wonderful as usual.

Will you show us (photos of) your tools?

I don’t think there’s any other restaurant anywhere with a wine list and pricing that’s comparable to what they have at Bern’s, especially for BTG and 375 mL bottles.

I use them from left to right :

• a knife to cut the capsule (I have two in order to make one sharper by using the other to sharpen it)
  • the normal corkscrew of sommeliers, just to lift the cork by 5 millimeters (useful as many corks stick to the glass)
  • then the super tools which help to lift the cork. I have two because if I lift only a torn cork, the other is ready to continue
  • then the small tools to lift what sticks to the glass. I have two because if one is dirty I use the second
  • I try to never use the spoon, which is there to lift the pieces which would have fallen in the wine. And I am proud that it happens very rarely, even for the Hermitage 1938 whose cork arrived this way :

nothing fell in the wine !

Wouldn’t a Durand help?

I was there in August and Brad took great care of us. I also recently saw a pic here of Berns and Brad was serving them.

Ha! Agreed

You, indeed, are the man. Love it.

My thoughts exactly. I have good success with mine.

-mark

Durand is really a good tool, but it hurts the cork and as I keep the nice corks I try not to use it.

http://www.academiedesvinsanciens.org/une-nouvelle-video/
see the corks on this short video.

I hope you’re joking. I’ve been to quite a few top steak houses in this country and, with an amazing piece of aged meat from Flannery, I can cook one every bit as good or very close at home. I also know I’m not alone in this on these boards!

Yes you are not alone …+ 1. [cheers.gif]

not me

You’ve touched on why I rarely go to steakhouses anymore and when I do my order drifts towards a Veal chop or rack of lamb. Last weekend I went to Sprouts and bought two beautifully marbled Ribeye’s I cooked on a Kamado Joe. Few steakhouses could compete.

I’m going to be driving through Tampa on a Saturday towards the end of March. Unfortunately, no reservations until 11pm on the day we are looking at. If we show up right at 5 do we have a good chance of getting a spot at the bar or getting a table? Would love to try some of their offerings but need to temper expectations with the Mrs.!