BerlinKabinettCup - Kabinett 2016

Olivier Schnurr’s report on this year’s BerlinKabinettCup should be published in early August. In the meantime, I wrote about a tasting of 2015 Mosel Riesling Kabinett wines in mid-December.

I had the honor to visit Martin in his fantastic Berliner flat.
He cooked som Eiffel Lamb and invited me to taste the 2016 Hofgut Falkenstein „Krettnacher Euchariusberg“
I must admit I never had a such young Kabinett showing this weightless elegance. The purity and dryness will make it a wine I would serve with a lot of different dishes.
I brought the 2016 Julian Haart Schubertslay Kabinett and it was full of baby fat in comparison.
Unfortunately the Krettnacher Euchariusberg Kabinett is very hard to get in Germany

Claus, I’m glad you liked the 2016 Krettnacher Euchariusberg Kabinett AP Nr. 12. It has about 40 grams of residual sugar per liter.

Thanks Martin! Very interesting! None of the top three are available here in California, but I’ll work my way down the list and find one to try!

Not all the 2016s have reached US shores. That said, Terry Theise no longer imports von Othegraven, and I don’t know if Dee Vine Wines has selected Emrich-Schönleber’s 2016 Monziger Kabinett.

Lars, just bought the Niedermenniger Herrenberg Kabinett trocken and Spatlese feinherb down here in NC from Jay Murrie and loving them. We’ll be featuring the Spatlese feinherb out of magnum in a dinner with Jay in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to the 2016s. Am going to try to get a wider range than those two wines. Kudos.

Thanks, Nathan. The 2016s are stellar. Jay selected a few of them.

Thanks, Nathan. I have one bottle of that too, that I found by chance in Ellsworth, ME. May open it soon!

just for the record.…as I re-tasted several of the 2016 Kabinett of the BerlinKabinettCup, you will find out that they taste best on Day 2.

Had the Kabinett trocken last night and it was fantastic. I’m not sure I’ve ever had another wine exactly like it. Reminded me of Pepiere Briords in it’s salty mineral quality (not just words John Morris, actual perceptions) but was also almost weightless. Really intense and almost severe. I love it, but it may not be everyone’s cup of tea and certainly has very little in common with most Kabinett. I think it was less than 11% alcohol and from what I understand, less than 3g/l rs.

David Schildknecht would agree with you, as he loves Pépière Muscadet, too. Both bottlings of 2016 Niedermenniger Herrenberg Kabinett trocken have 10.5 percent alcohol.

Martin -

I bought a bunch of these on your recommendation, including a few other bottlings. The AP 12 is a fantastic Kabinett. Finally popped some last night for the turkey dinner. Thanks for the reco!

And so dang cheap! I think it was around $20 or so.

Try the Alte Reben. Incredible Stuff

Next up, thanks to Martin!!