Benchmark Wine Group: Caution!

I ASKED, I did not imply, based on the OP’s experience. I thought the answer may be useful to other people, which is why I did not use the PM route. You may want to ask yourself who is making “much ado” about this. It seems like the only “rumor” to come out of this thread is how great Benchmark is…I didn’t realize that “others” could nefariously damage Benchmark with my question, but I guess I’ll take your word for it. Feel free to add the final comment, as this is getting silly.

I’LL add the final comment: Rod- damnit, you opened a 69-71 Lot Z without me. My heart is broken. My faith is destroyed.

John,

In the finest tradition of WB I suggest an open letter about your angst.

Yeah, photo shop does amazing things these days.

And now he has sent a pic of the “69-71 Lot Z”. You sir know well my penchant for this wine. You have repeatedly stated you had none, and in fact even said the only guy you knew with any lived in SoCal. Now, I have photo proof of that very wine being poured by you for the Trenton event. I have further verified the guy from SoCal was not present last night. My pain is searing and unending. Shame on you sir. Shame.[/quote]

I found a bottle in an odd box mixed in with our newer library wines. There was also a '73 and some other stray wines. I must have hidden them there the last time you were over but the alcohol haze was too strong for me to remember much. However, I did find another half case in the cellar. Not sure how I missed it before. I would put your name on a bottle but you would be even more pissed when I opened it without you.

Oh, I am not biting you. I am thinking about becoming a vegetarian and only bite herbivores.

I found a bottle in an odd box > mixed in with our newer library wines. There was also a '73 and some other stray wines. I must have hidden them there the last time you were over but the alcohol haze was too strong for me to remember much. However, I did find another half case in the cellar. Not sure how I missed it before. > I would put your name on a bottle but you would be even more pissed when I opened it without you> …

[/quote]

“I found a bottle in a box”- the California equivilant of my childhood catch-phrase: “It fell off a truck”.

“I would put your name on a bottle…etc.”…This is jihad Berglund. Jihad. (hope I spelled it right)

I assume those were “found” in order to bring them down for the pre-Falltacular dinner in January?

Now that John knows about them, and also knows how to get into the cellar, I am not sure that they will last that long!

As for the winter Falltacular I am not sure that I can make it this year. The first part of the year is already getting jammed. We have Winter Wineland up here on the weekend of the 15th and after a few years of not doing it we are planning on doing it again this year (if I can figure a way to cover my absence on Saturday as I am supposed to be at Pinot Days in Santa Monica). I am not sure that I am up to back-to-back weekends in SoCal. Add to that an early February trip to Minnesota and another one to Orange county about the same time for a friends '70 Bordeaux tasting and that is probably all of the air miles I want to accumulate for awhile. If I could fly directly to John Wayne instead of LAX from Sonoma County it would be a lot easier.

If I’m late arriving to dinner tonight, don’t read anything into it. Nothing at all…

Gregory, you better watch that shit. neener

Eh, write me a letter. Oh wait, you did…