Bellingham and the San Juans

We’re making a quick trip to Bellingham and Friday Harbor in a week or so. Any places of note to dine in either location? TIA

A short drive from Bellingham is Taylor Shellfish on Chuckanut Drive. If you are into oysters, it doesn’t get any better or fresher. I haven’t been to the San Juans in decades, so no help there.

1 Like

Was in the San Juan’s a couple of years ago the weekend of the wild fires which impacted our visit. Most places closed but Vinny’s was opened and we ended up eating there a couple of nights. Solid, if your looking for Italian.

1 Like

I ate at Taylor’s for oysters (awesome), Old Town Cafe for breakfast (blueberry pancakes were great) and Lighthouse for dinner (salmon was a little overcooked, but the setting outside was fantastic).
Also had dinner at Chuckanut, but I believe they closed, too bad as it was good.

It’s been more than a minute since I’ve spent time in the San Juan’s but my old boss has had nothing but good things to say about the following spots:

-Hogstone, located on Orcas Island. Pizza is the focus.
-Doe Bay Cafe, located on Orcas Island.
-Ursa Minor, located on Lopez Island. James Beard nominated chef’s take on pacific northwest ingredients. High on my hit list just wish it was closer.
-Old World Deli, located in Bellingham. Any time I’m remotely close to the area I make a point of stopping here for a sandwich or two.

As for other Bellingham options I haven’t lived in the area in 10 years so I’m pretty out of touch. @Warren_Taranow may be able to provide better intel as a local resident.