Bel Air Marquis d'Aligre 1982

Thanks for your recommendations, gentlemen!

Julian – great note, as always! In fact, as a result I was inspired to open my first 2000 BAMA over the weekend, which I very much enjoyed! Though quite different from the handful of other BAMA vintages I’ve tried – a little more “2000” and a little less “savory tomato”, if you know what I mean. In a very good spot nonetheless, IMHO.

Robert – if you are blessed with a restaurant in addition to Berns within your periphery with a 1959 BAMA mag in inventory, then color me impressed! (Hint: There are plenty of DSM-ORL flights!)

Merry Christmas to all.

Thanks Kelly - yes, the 2000 is still an adolescent but with incredible promise. Merry Xmas to you too!

I think 2000 is excellent, and IMHO, will eventually evolve as better than 1995/96. That’s my country guess.

Yes, if I was to recommend one vintage it would be the 2000, because it is less of a culture shock now but will probably surpass the older ones in another decade. Happy Xmas Robert, hope you’ve got some goodies to open!

Per winesearcher, BAMA is substantially cheaper to source in France than the USA, back vintages like the 95 and 96 are $40-45. I’ll have to try to find some when I’m next in France.

As mentioned above, at least one wine store near at hand offers Château Bel Air-Marquis d’Aligre - albeit only one vintage. When I asked a friendly staff member for the 2010, he spontaneously offered to open a bottle, pointing out that the wine would still be rather closed and not recommended for inexperienced wine drinkers. Ignoring his sceptical glance, I accepted the kind offer and tasted the wine.

First surprise: The wine was closed, but not as much as expected. Fine red cherry and medicinal notes on the nose, pure red fruit, leather, earthy notes, and herbs on the palate, and excellent acidity and mineral expression on the long, persistent finish. 12,5% alcohol. Really lovely!
Second surprise: I did not miss the oak, not one iota!
Third surprise: This subtle wine it’s one of those wines where everything is in the right place, with outstanding equilibrium and effortless depth and length. And less important, but interesting, its amazing elegance rather reminded me of an elegant Saint-Julien -let’s say a fine Léoville Barton- than a fine Margaux.

However, tasting is not the same as drinking and a wine store filled with noisy people not the right place to slow down and pay attention to all your senses. An appropriate note will follow soon…

Haha, Rudi got the bug!

Another one bites the dust! Rudi, you’re doomed! You haven’t even tried an old one yet! Glad you liked it, anyway.

And whose fault is that? [wow.gif] [thankyou.gif] [cheers.gif]

See here for the 1996 and the extraordinary old vintages (1970, 1961, 1959, 1947, …) :

All these hotshots drinking 82 and 59 BAMA, got me all lathered up to pop a vintage that I have not tried, and one which does not appear to have any tasting notes here or on CT: 1999.

Momma is out with the girls, yet another girl’s night. My college bonehead son is home for the holidays, and has become Mr. Grill. He fired up some sirloin burgers with blue cheese, topped with sautéed Vidalia onions. Sides of tater tots and fresh avacado rounded it out.

The 1999 is lovely. No fireworks, just straight down the middle lovely, honest, transparent. A parade of dried red fruits down a forrest floor carpeting, framed with some old plank wood and crisp acids. Lithe, light on its feet. Savory wild red strawberry finish, clipped and a little drying, however.

A nice effort. As this wine sometimes Metamorphosizes into something else with tons of air and time, I shoved the cork back in at half-done, will see tomorrow. Tomorrow is bowl game night!

(89 pts.)

BC3FBED6-8FCE-4280-8757-1991136C5BE2.jpeg

Nice note, Robert! A good opportunity to add my note on the 2010 Bel Air-Marquis d’Aligre we drank last night.

The nose offers notes of fresh red fruits, some barnyard, iodine and a hint of camphor. Initially, herbs, anise, licorice, sour cherries, and dark berries dominate on the palate, but with time, more leather, notes of cranberry, and not quite ripe raspberry become apparent and even a hint of tart, juicy, crisp apple. Hardly any fruity sweetness here, but a slightly alluring bitterness that reminds of crushed grape pips and some woody tannins probably from the stalk. This wine is medium-bodied, has great purity and effortless balance, a classic ‘meaty’ texture, and an herbal, mineral finish. As a promise of things to come, a lovely note of wild berry liqueur emerges after two hours. Delicious!

I’ve just ordered a few bottles of their 1995, 1996, and 2001. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Robert, thanks for that - I’ve never tried a 99.

Rudi - glad you enjoyed the 2010, great notes - you pinpoint well the characteristics of BAMA which you will find much more of in those three older vintages

Hi Julian - do you say this because of a change in the way the wine is made, different vintage characteristics, or simply because the 2010 needs time?

Hi David,

The 2010 is just young, on the basis of the bottle I tried two years ago:

It was much better the second night. The style was a bit more modern than the older wines, but essentially the same. It’s just an idea, but having had a Jaugueyron Nout 2010 recently, I wonder if there isn’t a certain resemblance between the two and I will have to try another BAMA soon to find out.

Thanks Julian, think I will give this a try.

David please post a note. I cannot recall if I bought the 2010 yet. I have a fair bit of this wine but vintages 1995 through 2005. Chambers used to carry a lot of this, and surprisingly, 2010 was the most expensive. Yup, I’ll take the 25-year old version for less, thank you sir.