Bedrock Summer release

Expensive few months coming up. Horray!

Bedrock, Carlisle, Rivers Marie, Saxum are all in the next two weeks.

Plus, Outpost and Carter are today, and Becklyn is on 8/1. I suspect Turley is in there somewhere, too.

Have to be selective, as I generally like to spread the love around.

Saxum is the only one of those that I don’t buy. Feels like I need to fix that.

Not an easy thing to fix, given what seems to be an 8-10 year waiting list.

$$$$$$$$$$

Shoot. I totally forgot about Becklyn. Thanks for the reminder

Has Carlisle sent out a mailer yet?

Never bought an outpost wine. Considering the Zin. 50 seems so steep though.

See post 17 above.

Right I was asking if they’d sent a save the date or not. Should’ve clarified, my mistake

I could be wrong, but I don’t recall Mike sending save the dates, but he might.

July 18 for Carlisle. According to Mike.

Paging Morgan Twain Peterson. Would you have a release letter draft yet, please?

Not that you aren’t busy farming hybrid tomatoes, running around ancient vineyards, and getting a new tasting room ready but it would be great to read and strategize over the weekend if it’s available [beg.gif]

8/1 supposedly.

Hey Everyone- I am still working on the main body of the newsletter but here are the notes on the wines. I caution, I have not finely edited this so typos can and will exist. Pricing will be in-line with the previous years for the most part, though Monte Rosso will be going up as pricing on that fruit has increased dramatically over the last few years. Cheers! -M

2016 Compagni Portis Heritage White, Sonoma Valley

This is always one of my hands-down favorite wines we make each year. The combination of field-blended Gewurtzraminer, Trousseau Gris, Riesling, and Roter Veltliner always morph slightly according to vintage conditions. For instance, the 2015 showed off more of the Gewurtzraminer richness that comes in a warmer iuyear. The wine from the more moderate 2016 displays plenty of Gewurtz perfume but also some of the stoniness and leavening acidity from the other varieties.

2016 Judge Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc, Bennett Valley

In exceptional years we make a single vineyard Sauvignon Blanc from this vineyard. Done exclusively in a blend of older French oak, new cigare barrels and Stockinger barrels this is one of my favorite SB’s we have made. Judge Vineyard, though not planted to the musque clone, always has head spinning perfume. Red cassis, pink grapefruit and peppercorn jump out. In a year like 2016 this is matched by surprising intensity and weight that sits atop all the nerve you would expect from a wine with a finished pH of under 3.3.

2015 Sodini Ranch Zinfandel, Russian River Valley

Our first wine from this lovely vineyard since 2012- and boy has the vineyard changed. We were approached by Steve Sodini who was at wits end after several difficult and money-losing harvests and was looking to find a solution for his 1905 planted vineyard. As is the case with too many old vineyards there were lots of missing vines and soils had been depleted after years of production. In certain blocks almost 55% of the vines were missing, which meant the 16-acre vineyard was putting out less than 1 ton per acre. With Steve’s blessing we took over the farming and started pouring TLC into the vineyard. Compost was spread, hard-pan was spaded and cover crops were planted to start the process of soil rejuvenation. Missing vines have been replanted to a massale selection of cleaned up Zinfandel clones from Bedrock Vineyard and are starting to bear fruit. It has been a bit of a massive undertaking but the quality has steadily increased year after year and the vineyard is living up to the enormous potential of its Limerick Lane address. Starting in 2015 we were able to select some of the best barrels for a vineyard designate (the remainder is a core of the Old Vine blend). Sodini is almost a perfect hybrid between the weight and pepper of Dry Creek and the sexy blue fruit of Russian River Valley- indeed, the soil on the flat of the vineyard are classic RRV sandy clay loams, while the hillside is made of the red clay loam so common on the east bench of Dry Creek Valley. This is satisfying stuff that will age nicely but can also be enjoyoed on the sooner side with a generous decant.

2015 Griffin’s Lair Syrah, Sonoma Coast

Coming from a co-fermentation of several clones of Syrah and a smidge of Viognier, grown in the ever-windy Petaluma Gap, this is always one of the most consistently excellent wines we get to make every year. To double-down on the already explosive aromatics of violets, pepper and bacon, we included 50% whole-cluster at the fermenter. The wine was then aged in a combination of large and small format barrels. This is a classic Griffin’s and should age beautifully. Decanting is always recommended.

2016 Old Vine Zinfandel, California

We take immense pride in the quality of this wine for the price as we want it to be a reflection of how good our beloved Zinfandel can be. A quick glimpse at what goes into it tells most of the story. In order of percentage the wine comes from Bedrock Vineyard, Teldeschi Ranch, Sodini Ranch, Nervo Ranch, Katushas, Evangelho, Esola, Casa Santinamaria, and Story Vineyard. It is about 88% Zinfandel blended with Petite Sirah, Carignan, Alicante Bouschet and many different interplanted varieties that maintain poise and add complexity and structure. This has plenty of juiciness but hopefully has plenty of juiciness as well.

2016 Evangelho Vineyard Heritage Wine, Contra Costa County

I still cannot believe that we somehow now own this unbelievable unicorn of a vineyard. Perched on banks of deep sand on the windy edge of the Sacramento River Delta this vineyard of own-rooted, 120-year-old vines produces vibrant and personality filled wines unlike anything else we make. Though all the blocks are field-blends and co-fermented I would estimate this wine is about 60% Zinfandel, 35% Mataro with the remainder being Carignane, Palomino and a few other odds and ends. This features racy and vibrant fruit that is pleasantly funkified but the presence of the savory Mataro. Raised predominately in large foudre, this wine probably resembles a wine from the Southern Rhone as much as a “Zinfandel” from California. As always, the incredibly suave tannins from the sandy soils at the ranch make for a high-tone and elegant red wine.

2016 Bedrock Vineyard Heritage Wine, Sonoma Valley

One of my favorite Bedrock Heritage wines as I tend to prefer vintages that are less about immediate fruit intensity and ripeness but ones that are more in line with the old-school “California Claret” these vines were originally planted to make. This wine is more in line with the 2013 than the 2008 or 2012. The wine, a blend of the 27 varieties interplanted at our family’s vineyard is roughly 50% Zinfandel, 20% Carignan, 4% Mataro with the reminder being everything else found in the field. The rocky site yielded a small amount of dense and balanced fruit and as always this wine features the savory, spice-infused character of Sonoma Valley. This wine will last a long time and decanting is highly recommended if consuming in the next few years.

2016 Monte Rosso Zinfandel, Sonoma Valley

Our last vintage from this storied and beautiful vineyard, a fact that almost brings me to tears as I write this. As heart-breaking as it is to have this fruit taken away from us, the good news is that the 2016 is a wine for the ages. This reminds me most of my father’s 1993 version from this site- a wine that is still vibrant and hauntingly perfumed 25 years later. Tight-knit and structured, this wine has the classic citrus and pit fruit tinctured perfume of the ranch backed by vibrant and dense fruit. This one will need some time but has great promise.

2016 Dolinsek Ranch Heritage Wine, Russian River Valley

A poster child of generously endowed, but still vibrant, Russian River Valley old vines. These stunning little bonsai vines date to 1910 and cling to a steep, north-facing, slope of Sandy Goldridge Loam off of Laguna Road. A field-blend of Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouschet, Barbera, Syrah, Black Muscat, Palomino, and even a single vine of Mourastel, this wine, as in most years, is ready to impress in its youth. This is one to break into while you wait for Bedrock Heritage and Monte Rosso to come around.

2016 Esola Vineyard Zinfandel, Amador County

Since starting to work with this vineyard in 2014, the wines have continually redefined what I thought possible from Amador County. Elegant and poised, the 2016 has the immense perfume this site can be capable of- the fermentations often smell like grapefruit and cherries- with the line and structure common to Amador County. As in previous years this is a blend of two different lots from the same block at the vineyard. The first is pressed off at dryness and typically has fresher perfume but rawer tannic structure. The second sees extended maceration on the skins for 20-30 days to help reconcile the structure, a process that makes for more refined structure and deeper fruit tone. As in 2015, this is one of my favorites from the vintage and should age well. Decanting is highly recommended if drinking young.

I just felt my wallet quiver a little…

Oh wow! Thanks for the sneak peek, Morgan!!!

I am seriously intrigued by the higher percentage of Mataro/Mourvedre in the Evangelho Vineyard red, and the Dolinsek and Sodini Vineyard wines sound phenomenal!

I will be certain to get a bottle each of the Old Vine Zin and Evangelho wines, but I will have to flip a coin on whether to try the Sodini or Dolinsek… :neutral_face:

How did I miss the mention of Story Vineyard fruit in the Old Vine Zinfandel until just now!!! Legendary! :open_mouth:

Thanks for the notes Morgan.