Bedrock shipment Busted by FEDEx

Inexpensive, poorly manufactured shippers.

They weren’t just pieces of foam. The bottom of the shippers were broken completely through.

We didn’t hold a gun to his head?

May be coincidental, but on Thursday Fedex delivered a shipment from Lagier-Meredith with the styrofoam totally trashed. As related above wiping the pebbles off the bottles spread those pebbles everywhere. I’m really not sure if it is a Fedex issue, but there sure seems to be a bit of circumstantial evidence piling up here. When I saw it, my thought was that the styrofoam liner did not fit snugly enough in the cardboard box

First world problem.

Joe, you do have my sympathy. I know I would be dissapointed.

Looks like I need to do some research of all the wine packaging options. It won’t be perfect, shipping never is, but I am sure we can improve.

Of course if anyone received a damaged package most of you know where to find me but if not email Chris@bedrockwineco.com and we will send replacements.

Cheers!
Chris

I haven’t gotten mine yet, but just to be safe, go ahead send me another batch. :wink:

Good data point and the last shipment from Last Bottle was actually in far better shape than previous shipments. It could be a Vinfillment thing, people have had issues with them in the past.

Chris, mine arrived in good condition. Haven’t opened the boxes but they are like new.

However, I find that many of my shipments that come in styro (those standing upright) have the “circle” punch out on the bottom. I have never had a problem with a styro insert that stacks with three bottles per layer on their side. AND, I have no problem at all with the wines I receive using various cardboard inserts.

I prefer the cardboard as I can take it to the recycle … Not the land fill.

The boxes kosta browne use are awesome, the wine and boxes always arrive in perfect condition.

Does anyone know the cost differences of the card v styro

My styro was in exceptionally bad shape as well. Not sure if its the quality of the material, or FedEx. 95% of my deliveries are via GSO, who seem to understand the fragility of the cargo and treat it more gently.

And since I’m at it, while I understand the logistical problem of different shipping materials based on climate change a wine may be subjected to, I really don’t see why a wine from the north bay shipped within northern California can’t be in cardboard shippers. Styro can’t be truly recycled, I have serious misgivings doing any direct wines shipped as a result, and consciously demerit any wineries that use it to ship me wine ~100 miles away using it.

I absolutely DESPISE styro. :frowning:

Rama, I’m in the same boat. I try hard to only order from wineries who ship in cardboard.

Oddly enough, my four bottles of Bedrock did come to Seattle in cardboard. The wine and the packaging were both in great shape.

Michael

Were the bottles wrapped in bubble wrap so they couldn’t move? If not, that probably why the styro was shot. If the bottles can move, they exert much more force on the styro.

Mine as well. Fortunately, the bottles look fine though.

Sounds like reusing packing material a few too many times?

You could be right on the root cause, but wrapping one unrecyclable material with another would be horrid.

Perhaps, but I’ve tried to return my styro shippers to winemakers in the past and no one wants to touch them with a 10 foot pole. Would be surprised if that were the case.

I have seen this so many times now that it no longer bothers me. I have yet to have a damaged bottle as a result. I have not noticed any pattern wrt winery or carrier. I just assumed that the trip to Maryland is long and not everyone is so careful and the styro is doing its job by absorbing the damage.

Makes sense that the slimmer bottles moving around more inside the styro made for larger bottles might cause a problem. I have been assuming that the Bedrock shipper used cheaper material, hence all the snow. I do love the bottles though, so easy to stack on a rack.

FWIW Navarro does take back styro shippers and gives you a credit for them. Navarro also ships in cardboard now with styro by request.

champagne.gif

I save up my stryro shippers and donate them to local wine shops - who all tell me they’ll accept styro but NOT cardboard donations “because UPS/FedEx only accept styro”.