Beaujolais

So I’ve been convinced over the past few days that I should take a closer look at the wines of Beaujolais. Watching Peter Weygandt on WLTV and seeing it in a couple other places have me under the impression that I could be drinking exquisite examples of Beaujolais for less than a mediocre bottle of Bordeaux. My question is where to start. All the books I have that even mention Beaujolais pay very little attention to it. They might mention a couple producers. A search around Binny’s, KL, and Crush show me very little in selection. 2009 sounds like a great year, but finding wines that represent some of the more important Cru Villages seems tough. Has 2009 already been bought up, is it not released yet? So my question is, where do I get them, and which ones do I get? Lets say I just wanted to find out if I liked the stuff, what would be some good high quality Cru Beaujolais?

Really? Have you actually looked at the Crush website, or talked to any of the sales guys there?

I have not talked to the sales guys, they are 100 miles away. And their site is tough for me to navigate. Searching I get

“We’re sorry, your search for ‘beaujolias’ did not return any items.”

So yes…

if that’s a literal cut and paste, you got 0 results because it is mispelled…

Searching for ‘beaujolias’ isn’t going to get you many hits on most websites, unless other places are also misspelling it.

At the risk of sounding snarky, it would help if you spelled it correctly (e.g., you reversed the a and i at the end). I just went to the front page of the Crush site and entered “beaujolais” in the search box and got 61 results. Very nice selection too.

Cheers,
-Robert

No snark. Thanks for catch. All that said, anyone have any recommendations?

Good guys, crappy site.

Try Chambers St.

This thread.

This post on this blog.

Other interwebz too.

Pretty much anything that the guys at Crush or Chambers have/recommend.

Do a search using “Paul H Galli”
I’ve written a good amount of Beau-Jo notes including many wines K&L carry (or carried).

TTT

You may want to try some cru Beaujolais before you dive into a buying frenzy. Just sayin’.

Agreed. Just trying to figure out what to try. A buying frenzy for me at this point would be 4-5 bottles.

+1

Buy yourself a mixed case form Chambers. It’ll be the best money you’ve spent on wine this year. Include some 2007s and 2008s for perspective. Especially the Descombes.

A mixed case isnt “diving” its exploring

I’m a big fan of Beaujolais. An example of a fabulous 2009 would be the Damien Coquelet Chiroubles. It’s fruity but deep and will easily age 5-10 years. Better yet, it’s fairly cheap. I paid a little over $200 for a case at Binny’s. Here’s a link.

Keep in mind, Beaujolais is not for everyone. People are raving about the '09s, but if you don’t like Beaujolais…

For the record, I love Cru Beaujolais & have only avoided buying tons in the past because my wife didn’t care much for it. She has since changed her mind, so starting w/ '06 I’ve been buying quite a bit. But not everyone feels the same way.

Search ‘Beaujolais 2009’ here.

I think 09 is a pretty atypical vintage…you might wish to consider trying other vintages as well.

Personally, I love the wines of Foillard. The 2007 Morgon Cote de Py is terrific…but don’t see it out there…Crush & Chambers Street both have the 08 vintage (which is probably drinking better now then when I had it last year) in stock.

I think there are lots of fans of Lapierre, Clos de La Roilette, and Brun out there too.

Look here TNs: 2009 Beaujolais (Brun, Coquelet, Jadot, Lapierre, Perraud, more) - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers" onclick=“window.open(this.href);return false; and 2009 Beaujolais - Shout them out... - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers” onclick=“window.open(this.href);return false; at John Gilman’s posts. If you want more of John on Beaujolais, subscribe to his newsletter at http://viewfromthecellar.com/” onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;