BBM: Bienvenue Batard Montrachet.

I’m also curious. I’ve heard from a few people the wines have gotten better, but haven’t pulled the trigger myself.

I would say that the insider choice here, which hasn’t even been mentioned, would be Jean-Claude Bachelet et Fils. Great viticulture, serious winemaking with two winters on the lees. They made the best BBM that I tasted in the 2017 and 2018 vintages. Their Blanchot Dessus is fast becoming one of my favorite white Burgundies too.

3 Likes

I think that is fair enough, but the best part of Bâtard is probably superior, just as a spot for growing grapes, to anywhere in Bienvenues.

High praise indeed. I’ve never encountered their BBM (my loss obviously).

A Leflaive BBM (I think it was a 2002?) was maybe the best white wine I’ve ever had. Sadly, that’s the only time I’ve ever tasted a BBM – insufficient ballaness and bank account.

They only make two barrels—or, since 2019, one 500 liter barrel (which works better). But I’d warmly recommend getting acquainted with their wines.

Leflaive’s 99s are probably my favorite white burgs ever, with the Monty in the running for my all-time favorite.

99-02 Leflaive was magical. Hopefully they are on the road back.

Faiveley’s can be very good.

And getting better and better, what’s more. They have really refined the barrel program for whites in the last few vintages, and the wines carry much less in the way of overt lactone / vanillin aromas and flavors.

thanks to both of you! Killer night.

Not knowing you two but I wouldn’t doubt when you reference Favre that it’s Brett Favre

His cousin, the infamous Jon Favre.

This sounds like a debate that should be settled the scientific /fun way: a horizontal tasting, obviously post-vax. We could call it “Welcome (Back) Bastards”.

I’ve had PYCM and Leflaive, both of which are excellent, though stylistically different.

Evan, whatever vintage you’re talking I’m in. In six months(ish).

I am down. Have some bottles to offer (I’ve been looking for a good time to open a 90 Ramonet BBM) . NYC preferred.

Pricing in US is absurd for both. Too bad.

I agree. I thought I was pretty aware of my pricing’s for white burgundy. Then WK mentions this guy and I think I might be on to something and can score a great wine at a decent price. NOPE. Burgundy is absurd. ABSURD

I willl admit that I saw this producer in the latest report from WA. So I knew before the mention above but anyway

I have some 14 and 17 but they are stuck in the UK for now.

JCB is my favourite BBM, followed by JCR and PYCM.

I drank a 1993 Leflaive recently which was pretty special too but I haven’t been so impressed by more recent vintages (pox notwithstanding).

JCB also makes a brilliant CM Blanchots Dessus but don’t tell anyone !

1 Like

I know folks here actually save rocks up to throw when this producer is mentioned, but the only BBM I’ve had is Louis Latour, the 2000, and it was excellent two years ago. And about half the price of any other BBM available at the time.

1 Like