Barolo buying strategy re 2011.

Interesting discussion on this thread.

In terms of the OP’s question, I’m buying pretty widely from '11s, from the wines I tasted and liked in our visits this summer.

In initially thought that after the '10 hype that prices might be down for '11s, given the lack of hype surrounding the vintage. I was surprised to hear from Piemonte that sales of '11’s were actually pretty brisk and that they were not to expect too much discounting. (The pricing for '11s I’ve seen has been at more or less '10 levels).

I liked the '11s at the better houses I visited like Vietti, Conterno, Burlotto, Cogno, Sandrone, Massolino, Brovia, Produttori, Cantina del Pino etc. Often I got to taste multiple vintages and I could definitely see the vintage characteristics, '11 being a warmer, riper vintage besides more classical '10 (even in Barbaresco). They seemed more likely to be accessible sooner but in Piemonte that’s relative!

Overall, I ended up roughly where Bill is ie these days choose the wineries and the cuvées you like and follow those and don’t worry so much about the vintage.

I got the impression that Barolo wine people weren’t really prepared to venture assessments of where Barolo vintages will ultimately end up. For example, tasting '11s at Vietti I asked Mario Cordero about his assessment '10s v '11s. He was cagey. He said that ‘maybe 2010 is too celebrated’. He talked about WS saying that 2000 Barolo was the Wine of the Century but said he now thought it a ‘good but not an outstanding vintage’. He wouldn’t be drawn on '00 v '01 but ordered an '01 Vietti Rocche at lunch which he described as an ‘outstanding, perfect vintage’ (the wine was beautiful but very youthful). He talked about '96s v '97s saying the former Baroli were ‘very young’ and the latter more accessible but didn’t offer a view on comparative merits. Overall his conclusion was ‘you can only judge these wines after 20 years’. To me, that seems a sensible conclusion …

Adrian asked about Giacosa. We tasted there (but no Red Labels). Overall, I thought the wines were good but not great (see G Conterno). It seemed like they were reorganising to get back to the very top level again and would be back there soon … However, IMO it is difficult to justify buying the wines at comparative pricing but I’ll probably buy a few bottles of what we tried for comparison in a few years.

Cheers, Howard

So that John can put away his divining rod for now, here is my BEST GUESS as to how vintages of the past 15 years are coming along:

1996-still undeniably a classic, structured vintage; it did not produce as many great wines as the buzz at the time (and subsequently) would have us believe, but then again, many of today’s darlings were either not at the helm or not making wine back then; there was no Cappellano Rupestris yet, and the Pie Franco was in its third vintage, and pretty rough; G. Conterno made a so-so Monfortino and a Cascina Francia that got little love at birth; neither Mascarello made a great wine, although the Morissio still has promise; Beppe Rinaldi was still learning how to make wine; Giacosa and Gaja pretty much killed it, Sandrone did fine and Vietti made a good Villero Riserva; the then-lesser knowns like Massolino’s Rionda Riserva and Cavallotto’s San Giuseppe Riserva may have made gems, but it will take more time to know; the wine of the vintage by a wide margin, the 1996 Giacosa Falletto Riserva, has remained a perfectly balanced monolith of seemingly infinite potential until recently, and it is still years away from full maturity; I conclude that the best will achieve greatness, one by one, but some lesser wines will have their fruit fade before their structure comes around; I see a day in the future when we stop mentioning this vintage in the company of 1971, 1978, 1989 and 2004.

1997-see above

1998-the vintage whose meager achievements should probably bear an asterisk, like Barry Bonds’s stats, except with the 1998s, the problem is rather LACK of steroid use. People are content to leave the 1998s in their verticals missing, and with good reason. The 1998 Bartolo is notable only for the “No Barrique, No Berlusconi” peek-a-boo label. Only the Monfortino will stay afloat in the sea of 1998 mediocrity. Well, maybe the 1998 Giacosa Santo Stefano Riserva as well. Giacosa does not make bad Riserve, even in questionable years. (Galloni, take a note.)

1999-also pretty much covered above, except to say that I think 2001 will probably end up being what many hoped 1999 would become…and has not, at least not yet. It will perhaps go down as the last great bargain vintage in the Piemonte, and one that will provide the good medium-term drinking that many thought that the 1998s would provide, but that figures to be about it. Beyond Gaja’s single-vineyard wines, 1999 was a mediocre year for Barbaresco as well, and while I do think that the quality of vintages can be different in the Barolo and Barbaresco zones, they can only be SO different…

2000-beginning to look like an all-or-other vintage to me. I suspect that many started drinking this one too young, got all caught up in all of the hot-year, lighter-weight, won’t-go-the-distance talk. I cannot yet say that is wrong. I did share what Gaja and Giacosa think, and what if they are right? If they are not, however, then we are looking at a couple of killer red labels and two strong white labels from Giacosa and not a lot else. I am letting mine sleep for now…

2001-I have chuckled aloud more than once at the 3-hour, slow-o on the dregs tastings that various board members have staged, all with mostly disappointing results. Why? The 2001s are tough as nails in general. A few give something now, others, like the Giacosa Le Rocche Riserva and Montfortino (I know, a broken record with those two, but that’s life!), give enough to promise a lot more (but query whether Giacosa did better work with the Le Rocche Riserva in 2000 or 2001…the reviewer consensus says 2000 so far). From one perspective, maybe 2001 is 2004’s Mini-Me. Maybe it is even better than that. Aldo’s boys may have finally started to get with the program. Many of the modernists had big years in 2001. The 2001 Mascarello Morissio is a big dog. I am pretty sure that producers like Massolino and Cavallotto produced fine Riserve; I should live so long as to find out! Huge year for Sandrone also. I bought this vintage over a reasonably wide range of producers. I could see it sitting on the same step as the 2006s, 2007s and 2010s 20 years from now, all three or more steps below the 2004s. (Note: if anything that I said above seems to suggest that 2001 is on a par with 1999 and 2000, let me correct that notion. The jury is out to some degree on the 2000s for me, while I have confidence in almost everything that I bought from the 2001 vintage.

2002-Monfortino. Moving on… Seriously, I do enjoy the apologists that like to say that the reviewers got it wrong, and that folks other than Roberto Conterno made good wines in 2002. Among the top producers, only Roberto made a 2002. End of story.

2003-I like to think of 2003 and 2004 (or maybe 2002, 2003 and 2004) as the vintages that EVERYBODY called correctly: 2002 as a washout, 2003 as a natural disaster that produced only atypical, early-drinking wines and 2004 as a legitimate candidate for the Vintage of All Eternity. I did not buy a single bottle of the 2003s, but I do drink them occasionally. If I had need of something to drink while waiting for the big-vintage big guns to come around, I would still put this one at the bottom of the list and look to 2005, 2009, maybe 2011 (and maybe not) and probably select wines from 2008.

2004-not much need be said…a perfect vintage in both the Barbaresco and Barolo zones. The vintage may have produced the best Monfortino and Giacosa’s best wine ever, but it will be decades before that discussion can be had. (The 2004 Le Rocche Riserva, the 1996 Falletto Riserva and the 1978 Collina Rionda Riserva Speciale must all attain full maturity, and the 1989 Collina Rionda Riserva needs to stay on the upswing first.) Only the wines of a very few winemakers who were still learning their craft, along with Giacosa’s thoroughly mediocre one-shot wonder, the Barolo Vigna Croera (so disappointing to him that he immediately sold the vineyard!), do NOT show outstanding potential. THe highest median quality level ever in the Piemonte, and not based only on a tiny handful of the usual suspects.

I will finish up 2005-2011 later. By the time I finish, several of my vintage assessments will likely have changed again! But here is the teaser trailer for the 2011 vintage, which compliments what Greg and Howard said above: Giacosa will be making two red labels for the first time since 2007. That somehow does not feel like 2009 deja vu all over again to me…

Sandrone made a 2002 Le Vigne

Right you are. It sucked. The worst Sandrone EVER (but still consensus high 80s from the reviewers).

Howard, thanks for your assessment of the 2011 Giacosa. I picked up some of the SS (the last vintage?) and am hoping for the best.

Bill, what’s your objection to the Croera? I had one last year and thought it drank quite well, though I haven’t a benchmark against the other 2004 white labels.

Not an objection, really, but the wine is just not up to either Giacosa’s very high standard or the unmatched standard of the vintage. It is merely a ship not lifted by the rising tide in 2004. That does not make it a bad wine…

Not surprising to hear that 2011 will likely meet or exceed expectations. The better wines may not be priced much lower than 2010, but at least they’re more “gettable” so you can at least buy as you please without being so rushed.

Looking ahead I’m surprised to hear 2013 will be the next hyped vintage, as I was planning to sit that vintage out…though I’d planned on buying 2012 which I heard should resemble 2006.

I just returned from a week in Piemonte, where all of the producers were pouring their 2011s. Across the board, producers were bullish on the vintage, but I wouldn’t expect anything else. The wines were uniformly accessible and showed no sign of entering a shutdown phase. I found the vintage to be a light and feminine one, heavy on the floral notes, and would not have pegged it for long life. But I agree with Bill Klapp that it is a risky exercise to try to handicap Barolo vintages early in their life.

I don’t think you can get a fair assessment so close to, or at, the source. In a way, it truly is like Burgundy, where every (current) vintage is the one you want and is good for what ails you: “You want a soft drinking wine for tonight?..perfecto!” - “You wanna put away for your children?..this will last for their grandchild!”. One gets tired of this kind of talk, but in a way, it is true. If we want to truly appreciate a region’s wines, we ought to tune in to all voices and whispers that it speaks, and not just select “the Great Years”.

Outside of the no-brainers purchased in Italy at release prices (B. Mascarello, G. Rinaldi already, hopefully Cappellano and 1 or 2 others when released) I plan to wait and see what happens with prices. If they get down to 2009 levels I may buy, but otherwise likely will pass. The other wines of interest are the entry wines Brovia, Cogno, etc that may be worth buying for early consumption at (hopefully) good prices

My main takeaway from this threat so far is that I need to bolster my stocks of 2004’s, and at some point will have to bite the bullet and buy 2004 Monfortino :slight_smile:

Bill - one comment among your threads - I had tasted Cavallotto 2006 - 2008 Riservas with Alfio a year or so ago, and found the 06 and 08 far superior to the 07. Alfio agreed - he was not a huge fan of 07 and 09 vs 04-06-08-10. Maybe it was just a point in time but I largely passed on the 07’s when released

agreed

I can’t speak to your experience, Markus, but mine is very different. I have had very realistic discussions with producers about the relative quality of vintages in their region, even if they are the ones for sale at that moment. Good producers, at any rate.

+1

I’ve always been surprised at how candid many winemakers are when I’ve visited them about the vintages that were difficult, and relative merits of others that are better. And I don’t have the relationships that Oliver has, obviously.

I find that generally true, not just in Piedmont. I once asked a famously, ahem, self-confident producer in Santa Barbara which other producers he liked, and he immediately gave me a generous list.

Yes – I wasn’t restricting my comment to Piedmont.

Nice discussion.
I like 2001. It reminds me of 2001 in Burgundy ( whereas the 2004 is like 2005 in Burgundy).

2004 is great. Been backfilling on all top wines ( producers - Giacosa, G Conterno, etc ). Paying much higher price than the release price but that’s life.

I have a bit more faith in 2008. Again the vintage reminds me of 2008 in Burgundy - acid, structure, finesse but with a bit more flesh.

I am largely going to skip 2011 and 2012.

Brian, I have probably backfilled more 2007s than I bought first time around, and it is impossible to argue with Alfio’s personal preference, but I am guessing that his 2007s will not end up being “far superior” to his 2006s and 2008s, especially the 2008s, which to me do not have a lot going for them relative to the other two. Curiously, while I have tasted both 2007 Riserve, I am now having trouble finding any to buy in Europe, so SOMEBODY must like them! :slight_smile:

In most cases, it is hard to argue with 04-06-10, but one can quibble with 08 belonging in that mix, and I obviously quibble about 07 being excluded…

And now, back to Masterguess Theatre:

2005-I think that the vintage seems likely to live up to the word on the street, which is that it will provide some very satisfying early-to-mid-term drinking, if that is a gap that one needs to fill. It seems to be something of a Prozac vintage…very few highs, very few lows. Giacosa passed on riserve, as did Mauro Mascarello with his Morissio and Luca Currado with his Villero Riserva. Not an earth-shaker in Barbaresco, either. I bought a decently broad sampling of 2005s, but no quantity. I have found more interesting wines in 2009 and 2011, even if the median quality for those vintages may not equal that of 2005.

2006-a strange year in many ways, and possibly one at risk of being overrated, but I think not. First of all, there was the shocking phenomenon of no Giacosa wines, but whatever the last word may be on that situation (and maybe we have heard the last word already), it is safe to say that it had little or nothing to do with the vintage itself, at least in Barolo. It was another ho-hummer in Barbaresco across the board, which may have had some impact on the Giacosa decision not to bottle his Barbareschi. No Produttori riserve, either; only chasing lot numbers. When one looks at all 2006 Barbareschi, it is pretty easy to conclude that no riserve was probably the right move for Produttori. There was something of a split of reviewer opinion in Barolo as well, with Galloni liking a goodly number of wines better than did Tanzer, and that probably not merely a function of score inflation; however, they tended to agree when it came to the vintage’s best. Like 2005, the median quality was strong for 2006 as well, and the 2006s clearly offer structure that most 2005s lack. There are some top guns in 2006 as well: Monfortino, Sperss, Granbussia, an MT Bartolo, Sandrone CB, G. Rinaldi Brunate-Le Coste, riserve from Mauro Mascarello and Vietti, as well as some solid performances turned in by less prominent producers. A lot more in common with 2004 than 2005.

2007-I probably said enough about this vintage on the first page. The bottom line for me is that I gotta believe. Gaja and Giacosa killed it in Barbaresco, and others, like Castello di Neive and Produttori, made some beautiful wines, with consistently good notices across the board. On the Barolo side, the Cascina Francia was among the best (and no, I do not buy the Monfortino juice hooey), as good as 2006 and to me, better than 2008. Giacosa made two terrific Baroli, one red label. The median quality is probably higher than 2006, and more akin to 2004, but with the initial presumption out there that the 2007s were big fruit, not much structure. I, for one, have watched the best wines shutting down tight, and simply do not buy the structure concern at this point. One could drink a fair number of the 1996s immediately after release, notably the Giacosa Falletto Riserva, whose huge, sweet, ripe fruit completely hid its tannins and structure. While the vintages are not directly analogous, I have seen a lot of the same thing in the 2007s.

2008-2011 to follow, then a final installment of 2012 to the end of the 21st century…

2008-My question here is “where did ANYBODY get the foolish notion that this vintage is the logical successor to 2004 and 2006?” Even Galloni offered up assessments like “good, not great” on his first pass, and “far better than expected” and “gracious, medium-bodied wines” on his final pass, while warning about inconsistent quality. I am betting that the “received wisdom” that John and I were discussing above missed the boat to some degree in every vintage after 2006, but this is a missed boat that would seem to be on the shoulders of consumers more than reviewers. In 2008, we can start the bidding with another mediocre Barbaresco vintage, one in which the Cortese Rabaja’ Riserva could end up being wine of the vintage. The sole exception would seem to be a decent set of Produttori Riserve. There was an even clearer split of opinion between Galloni and Tanzer, and on balance, the relatively unimpressed Tanzer had the best of it. The wines of Brovia, Burlotto and all of the modernists were no better than good. Vietti had a shockingly weak vintage. The G. Conterno Ceretta, still being called “Nebbiolo” at that point, was mediocre or worse, and both the Cascina Francia and Monfortino rather average compared to their siblings in 2004 and 2006. Giacosa made one very good but not legendary riserva. Aldo Conterno, Gaja and Sandrone were all solid but not great. It seems that the vintage’s reputation hangs only upon a few outperformers, like Elio Grasso, Mauro Mascarello’s Monprivato and Morissio, MT Mascarello’s Bartolo and G. Rinaldi Brunate-Le Coste, and in large part, because the latter two were so highly perfumed, delicate and accessible, both quite antithetical to the notion of a classic, age-worthy vintage. The median quality is decent, but with more quality swings than one expects in a strong vintage, and with no truly great wines. Like everyone else, I bought some 2008s, but I bought banking upon medium-term drinking. I am betting that there will still be a lot of unopened 2007s in my cellar when I drink my last 2008, and probably a few 2009s as well. And the greatest tragedy of all? Some loose talking by Galloni and the early accessibilty afforded by a lightweight 2008 vintage led poor Michael S. Monie to found the Church of the Blessed New Paradigm…

2009-the reviewers could not get out the “hot vintage” brush quickly enough. Yet another vintage of nothing special other than the Produttori Riserve in Barbaresco, but the 2009 Produttori were not far off the quality of the 2008s. In Barolo, if 2008 is, say, a “94+” vintage, then 2009 would likely be no worse than a “93+” vintage. Wines like the G. Conterno Ceretta and Cascina Francia strike me as being of comparable quality to their 2008 counterparts, despite there being no 2009 Monfortino. The 2009 Aldo Conterno wines are particularly strong, the Viettis better than the 2008s and the Sandrones of roughly comparable quality. Both 2009 Cappellanos and the Massolino Rionda Riserva are excellent wines that hint at, but do not promise, earlier-than-usual pleasure (yes, yes, I know…only so helpful for big Serralunga Baroli). Ditto Cavallotto’s two riserve. The 2009 Bartolo and G. Rinaldi Brunate-Le Coste were both wines worth collecting, largely a testament to the vastly improved winemaking that has resulted from the generational change, as well as the ability of the better wineries to manage temperature to excellent effect. It seems to me (and believe me, I never thought that I would live to say this!) that Galloni UNDERESTIMATED the 2009 vintage significantly, pooh-poohing it for not being 2006, 2007, 2008 or 2010, if I recall correctly. Well, I believe that it figures to be 2008 in quality, if not stylistically, and I prefer the best 2009s to their 2005 counterparts.

2010-if you follow the bouncing wine board ball, you will find a growing number of references to Piemontese producers saying that no, 2010 does not figure to be the vintage of the century for them, and not just because wine reviewers are already cranking up their campaigns to make 2013 the vintage of the century. It seems to me that all could agree that 2010 is a SPECIAL vintage, but entirely too quickly, the “received wisdom” got its ass in that “ol’ time religion” crack of “uber-classic vintage, built for eternity and a day, don’t touch a bottle until you have been dead for 35 years”. That is simply not panning out for the 2010 vintage overall, although it seems highly likely to be true for selected wines. One of the received canards appears to be that 2010 was a weak vintage in Barbaresco, simply because 2010 did not yield a set of Produttori Riserve. That notion may have been strengthened by the bizarre Giacosa decision to pass on the 2010 vintage. It seems to me that all of that headline-grabbing stuff overlooks things like Cortese’s strongest Rabaja’ normale yet, and sets of Gaja and Sottimano wines that best the 2011s across the board. A whole host of 2010 Barbareschi were, in fact, equal to or better than their 2011 counterparts. And so it goes.

And Barolo? Well, some, like Burlotto and Fratelli Alessandria with their Monviglieros, Brovia and Aldo Conterno made what may be their best wines to date. (At least the best wines that Aldo’s boys have made.) Sandrone, Vietti, Bartolo and G. Rinaldi again came up huge. The overall quality of the vintage is very high. The real question at this point is how many of these wines are built for the ages? Many of these wines drank really well on release. Big, beautiful fruit, most with good balance, some offering obvious structure, but others not so much. Some of the more structured wines have shut down and are sleeping now, but some wines (perhaps not the biggest guns, in fairness) are still partying. I have to believe that 2006 is much more closed at this point, and I know that 2004 and 2001 are. I bought a lot of wine in 2010, surely the last vintage for which I will do so, but until I see evidence that a majority of the 2010 Baroli go the way of 2006, 2004 and 2001, the jury is still out for me. I think that there is a very real chance that 2010 and 2007 could have more in common than 2010 and 2004. Time will tell.

A final thought: there are a fair number of 2010 Riserve, truly important wines, that are not even released yet, and some of which have not even been tasted from barrel. Hard to close the book on 2010 with so many pages missing…

2011-this vintage is also a work in progress, but very much one tarred with the 2009 brush. As noted above, Barbaresco should be relatively close in quality for 2011 and 2010, both better than many vintages before them. One interesting phenomenon is that 2011 is the first vintage with no Tanzer perspective, which I suppose matters to some and not to others, but it is surely a missing data point. Worse, Monica Larner seems to taste only what comes over the transom most of the time, as does Kerin O’ Keefe, so one never gets a complete set of scores from either. At this point in my life, and with my bad attitude about wine reviewers, none of that matters, but it does call the “received wisdom” into greater question than ever when consensus positions on some wines, like Roberto Voerzio’s, end up being only Galloni’s absurdly high and biased numbers. Along with that, those who look to Galloni to deliver the goods on Piemonte wines are now confronted with a guy who wants to convince wine buffs that he has viability as a Burgundy and California reviewer, and he spends increasing amounts of his time pissing off his subscribers by attending 100 Years of La Romanee tastings, sponsoring overpriced tasting events to keep the lights on and bullshitting at the “Davos of Wine”, instead of doing the one thing that he was once halfway decent at doing, and even had some passion for.

Against THAT backdrop, I think that there are some really, really good 2011 Baroli out there, and while I will not buy a lot of them, I am surely buying more than I thought that I would. I have already noted that Marta Rinaldi’s 2011 Tre Tine is one of the most impressive young Baroli that I have ever smelled and tasted (with the necessary qualification that not all great Baroli are going to show well young). A number of the 2011s appear to be better than their 2009 counterparts; G. Conterno’s Ceretta and Francia jump out in that regard. Giacosa is set to issue two red labels, the Asili already carrying a “96(+?)” from Tanzer. Sandrone and Vietti both made highly collectible wines. Even with a host of data points missing, it is relatively clear that the 2011 vintage has achieved the same across-the-board quality of most of the seven vintages that preceded it, even if the quality level is more in line with 2009, 2008 and 2005 than with 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2010. 2011 is still very much a “jury still out” vintage, and not solely, or even primarily, because it is the latest release, but rather, because the available information is becoming increasingly unreliable and untimely. There are some strong, collectible wines and some likely early drinkers, and the vintage seems to be selling surprisingly well, and at prices higher than many had hoped. It would be great to see there being some clearance sales as there have been for year like 2009 and 2005, but it could be that worldwide demand could put a damper on that. It should be fun to see what additional information flows in on the vintage, here and elsewhere…

Why don’t we simply refer to it as “the New Paradigm,” whereby the Piedmont cannot ever have a disastrous vintage again and that every vintage is now above average?