Barolo / Barbaresco

I’ll play along with the face value of the OP.

Its a wide question, but my favorite producers of Barbaresco that I’ve had the chance to taste are by far Produttori. For Barolo, Bruno Giacosa, although I have only had the chance to taste one of BG’s wines.

The number one and two producers of Nebbiolo that I would like to try at some point are Giuseppe Rinaldi and Giuseppe Mascarello. Must be a thing with Giuseppes. both are bucket listers for me.

I think both are worth seeking out. They both offer something different to me. My recollection of Rinaldi was a lightness and rustic note that really was quite interesting. Mascarello wines are all about finesse and elegance to me. I was drawn more to Mascarello in the same way that i’m drawn more to Burgundy than the Rhone or Bordeaux. I love them all…but I have my preferences; as do we all. I would recommend snagging some as soon as possible as the bottle price continues to creep up. I remember paying $80 for the Mascarello 08’s. I couldn’t get the 13’s for under $125 and I expect the 16’s will cross the $150 mark. If you search around there are still values to be found.

Oh, and to the OP’s question.
Barbaresco - Produttori followed by Roagna (this would be first if not for the price) & Giuseppe Cortese
Barolo: Giuseppe Mascarello, Bartolo Maccarello (price is now out of control), Cavallotto (this producer is new for me since 2016, but fast growing as a favorite in the cellar).

Thanks for the support Ian newhere

Yeah… My post was more about the GENERAL opinions about Barolo/Barbaresco ,and not so much about my willingness to learn from them… sorry for my English hahah

But anyhow great stuff guys!

Just to make it clear I have drank my fare share of Barolo Barbaresco Nebbiolo and Barbera not to mention Dolcetto Pelaverga Freisa and so on…

All in all… The feedback that I got from the post was awesome!!! Everyone seems to be enjoying the more traditional style Barolo - Cavallotto, Giacosa , Rinaldi , B.Mascarello , G.Mascarello (Monprivato 2003 , 2004 ,2006 , 2012 ,2013 some of the best wines I have ever tasted not to mention Ca d’Morissio)) Roagna , Pira and so on …

There is so much to discover! Wineries like
Guido Porro (Serralunga d’Alba) Cascina Fontana (Monforte d’Alba ) Giovanni Rosso (Serralunga d’Alba) Livia Fontana (Castiglione Falletto) Burzi (La Morra) Ceaare Bussolo (La Morra) are just some of the producers that are worth your will researching… [berserker.gif]

Thank for the suggestion! [thankyou.gif]
P.s. I like you profile pic. What do you think about the wines of Maria Teresa insted of the ones made by Bartolo?

O o o o and what about Bruna (Giacosa) entering and taking complete control of her fathers cellar do you maybe see a decrease/increas in the quality ? Woild like to hear your thoughts

Grazie mille

i definitely appreciate the backup on my yearning. your description sounds exactly like two wines that I should continue to save up for.

have you had many of their “smaller” wines? Do you think they are a good introduction to the house style as a Langhe Nebbiolo?

I’m not playing the Bartolo and Giacosa game these days, sadly. Priced out some time ago.

For my palate Mauro Mascarello’s wines (G. Mascarello) are (were?) the absolute sweet spot. Not just Monprivato. Santo Stefano di Perno. Villero. The Langhes. It started with trying the ‘85s around 2000. (I always give Greg Dal Piaz the nod for introducing them to me.) Matt, you can get a bottle of Santo Stefano di Perno or Villero. I’m guessing you will love the elegance, transparency, red fruitedness, and perfume.

I agree with Jayson, I’ve enjoyed everything I had from this producer. Try them all, the Monprivato is a wine I think in another 10+ years you’ll be glad you splurged on though.

I appreciate it! I feel like I always hear “buy the very best wine you can afford right now,” and I am thinking a bottle or two from each of these two producer’s would probably be on that list of worthwhile wines.

To my way of thinking, Barolo & Barbaresco are perfect wines to buy by the case because they change so dramatically over the years.

One reason why I so often recommend Produttori for folks just starting out - a case will fit into almost any wine budget, and even the Normale is a wine that will provide very interesting drinking over a 15-20 year period.

Having tasted a lot of Produttori normales back to some of the earliest vintages hailing from the 60’s, I can guarantee your suggested drinking window can easily be doubled!