Ballast Point

Bought a sixer of Victory at Sea vanilla porter. 10% alcohol but great flavor. Couldn’t really drink more than one in a sitting

Bought a 6-pack of the Grapefruit Sculpin yesterday at Whole Foods. May pop one today.

I did. It’s ok.

The grapefruit falls off so quick on the beer then it just gets dark and malty. I think they are doing a dis-serve to themselves shipping it out so far. When i taste a week old bottle it’s awesome. Then i taste a 2 week old bottle and not as awesome. Now they are doing it in these monster batches, so I can only assume quality is taking a further nosedive

This!

big +1 on this, best bottled mix I’ve ever had, required no doctoring on my part. Nice and spicy as well.

If you can get it fresh, my favorite from Ballast Point is the Dorado DIPA.

Since I’ve only had it here in Chicago, I can’t compare, but I am betting you’re right. The grapefruit hits you up front, but drops off immediately. After that, it was good, but nothing special. Just went and grabbed a bottle, but there is no born-on date. I’ll have to try some next time I am on the west coast.

Paul. The bottle date is on the case box that the 6packs come in. That’s the only place with the date :frowning: luckily my whole foods keeps all the 6packs in the case so I can see the date

Pretty sure Ballast Point bottles all have a Julian date in white on the labels. Should be something like 02515. So 25th day of 2015…January 25th 2015. Unless something has changed very recently it has been like this for awhile…cans also have a Julian date.

The gf sculpin don’t have it. Don’t know why it’s the only one that doesnt

Anyone want the last bottle of Habanero Sculpin in my fridge? LOL. I can’t give that thing away.

The Grapefruit Sculpin I picked up at Trader Joe’s on Friday has small white lettering on the bottom right of the label. SC757G over 15063. Is that code?

Yea Nancy, the 15063 is the date code. So 63rd day of 2015 would be March 4th. I just saw six packs of grapefruit with a date code of 15071 today. Maybe their machine was off for the batches you have had Charlie, I’m sure it isn’t a huge priority for the brewery.

Thanks, Dustin!

Cook with it! [snort.gif]

Nancy,

My wife used the second to last one with a pork roast she cooked in her dutch oven. Added a really nice kick.

Awesome sauce!

Bought a six pack of the Sculpin Grapefruit. Brewed and bottled on the 71st day of the year, so I tasted it about a month away from bottling.
Good grapefruit streak to the beer. Not too hoppy. Interesting. Would make for a good breakfast beer. Slightly enjoyable, but not something I would likely buy again.