Bairrada/Dao : rare Bussaco (Palacio do Buçaco) verticale, whites and reds, plus a rosé

Niepoort Bairrada branco Vinhas Velhas 2013 : 14,5/15
Bical, Maria Gomes.

Luis Pato Bairrada Vinho Branco Vinhas Velhas 1991 : 16,5/20
Bical (50%), cerceal (25%), sercialihno(25%).

Douro Coche branco 2015 : 15,5/16
Rabigato, Codega do Larinho, Arinto et autres.

Redoma implies 30 types of local white grape varieties, Niepoort says.

Following Laurent’s inspiration, I’ve tried the Buçaco Tinto Reservado 2002 and really enjoyed it.
The nose is full of black fruit and has an impressive depth to it. On the palate, strong notes of black currants and black berries, supported by a smokey, tannic frame. Clear resemblance with the aged Bagas of Luis Pato I tried this summer but some added depth/structure of the Touriga Nacional.
I’ll head over to Portugal next week and was supposed to stay at the Buçaco Palace Hotel for a night to try their wine list. Unfortunately, they have on-going renovations that are overrunning and can’t accept any guests at the moment :worried:
Based on this bottle, I’d be very keen to try some even older vintages. Any further tips for sources in Europe are welcome!

Thank you for this confirmation (“our” 2002 was corked).

Some of the Buçaco wines are sold by Niepoort, although the majority of vintages can only be accessed from the hotel directly. The 2003 white is Dirk’s favorite.

Bizar coincidence: I’m staying a few nights in Obidos as a base to go surfing on Portugal’s fabulous beaches. Right around the corner of my Airbnb is a funky wine store with a great port collection. Turns out they also have a great Buçaco collection, including the ‘03 white. I’m the new owner of it and am really looking forward to trying it out! I might just relieve them of some further vintages :innocent:
293DDEC7-C496-4470-A841-2F37C5AF4562.jpeg
18EE8735-8465-4897-ABCE-0672A1A6D0F9.jpeg

Hence an excellent Bussaco branco 2003 (see above).
I wish I could taste again this stunning branco 1955 which enchanted our dinner at the palace with great gustative waves :slight_smile:

Vinho Bussaco Branco Reservado 2015 : 16,5/20 - 12/12/2021
Résiné, citronné, salin, très vif. Le vin ressemble fortement à une clairette du Château Simone (Provence/Palette). Beaux amers pour une matière très jeune, encore peu expressive, à attendre patiemment.