Bachelet-Monnot and Joseph Voillot with Debra Lewis of Vintage 59

2007 Bachelet-Monnot Bourgogne Blanc
2007 Bachelet-Monnot PM
2007 Bachelet-Monnot PM Les Referts
2007 Joseph Voillot Bourgogne Rouge
2007 Joseph Voillot Volnay VV
2007 Joseph Voillot Volnay Les Champans

The weird thing about Bachelet-Monnot is that their first vintage was 2005 [? if I understood correctly?] so that for 2007, their oldest barrels were only in their third season, and the oak treatment is maybe a little heavier than everyone involved would have preferred.

But having said that, upon tasting the wines, my immediate impression was

1. Wow, I had forgotten how much I like Puligny, and then

2. Other than the oak treatment, and a touch more acidity, these wines are dead ringers for the 2001 Carillons.

Les Referts is very tightly wound, almost to the point of having mouthfeel, and if it can escape the premox plague, then it shouldn’t have any problem being a 25 or 30 year wine [it seems to have plenty of stuffing and acidity]. As far as drinking now, it’s gonna need massive decanting, and it might even need to be held until Day Two before it opens up.

I guess the Joseph Voillots are much better known - nothing horsey or over-extracted or spoofulated - just good, clean, correct, elegant Côte de Beaune pinot [thank goodness].

What a delightful little tasting to have stumbled upon at the last minute - I haven’t had this much fun in forever.

Thanks so much!

PS: Ms. Lewis’s sales territory covers Texas to New York - can you say “YIKES!!!”?

Well, at least she has a dynamite line card to take with her on her travels.

Thanks for the notes Nathan. Is there still a Bachelet along with a Bachelet-Monnot? Any other thoughts on the Voillot reds? Haven’t been hearing much excitement about 07 Burg reds. And although I typically like Voillot, their 03 Champans is a dead ringer for a Cali Pinot.

RT

Well I have to preface what follows by saying that I am mostly a white guy - for me, the reds will always be an afterthought.

But my impression of the Voillots was very much “clean and correct”.

They smell like Pinot, they taste like Pinot, they aren’t dirty at all, they have acidity, and some palate penetration - just basically how you imagine Pinot ought to present itself.

Almost weirdly textbook in a way.

Certainly they would be a very “safe” choice if you saw them on a restaurant wine list or in a wine shop with an unfamiliar inventory.