Awesome new Apothic!

It’s illegal for me to wear non-charred assless chaps?

My father used to say, never throw away a tie because everything comes back into fashion.

Same thing with winemaking. Used bourbon barrels were popular in the 70s but they were steam cleaned first. Of course, Bourbon was going out of fashion then.

I wonder if it’s hand-crafted.

Wines like these are also intended to go after the burgeoning craft beer market. One of the major differences between beer nerds and wine nerds is that the former are super cool with all kinds of human intervention in production (“we added chococlate nibs” “Bourbon barrels!” “Brewed with chipotle!” “We added 18 strains of Brettanomyces!”). Wine nerds hate that stuff. Though Field Recordings did bring out a hopped-wine this year - which FWIW, the sub-30 market loved where I am.

I may have a bottle of this at the house, not sure. Someone gave us a 3 pack of Apothic red wines for Christmas, i know we got the Red, and The Dark, don’t recall what the 3rd one was. Looking at their offerings, it must be either the Crush or the Inferno. I’ve been thinking of making mulled wine with the Red, as I generally dislike it.

I like bourbon barrel aged stuff in general, never had a wine with such treatment.

Interesting that they could call this wine “Inferno”. Shows how much the TTB
knows about Valtellina Nebb.
Tom

That’s why you’re still hanging onto those bell-bottoms, Mel?? [snort.gif]

Joe Swan made his first Chard in '73. Followed ole Joe from the very start. Joe, being the pinch-penny that he was,
wanted some oak on that wine but was too cheap to buy a new (or used) barrels. So he hauled a$$ down to HomeDepot
(or whatever was in vogue then) and bought several used whisky barrels that were intended to be made into planters.
EeGads…the $$ he must have saved.
He tore the barrels down, shaved off the inside layer on the staves, and put them back together, then filled them
with his Chard. He tasted me on it and it had a distinct whisky/Bourbon flavor. Joe hated it. I thought it was
pretty exotic/unusual expression of Chard. And it aged in 10 yrs into a very/very interesting Chard.
On that same visit, there was some young guy topping barrels in the distance, wearing a worn green plaid flannel shirt.
Joe wanted me to meet him…“Joel Petersen…helps me out here in the wnry”. I seem to recall the guy went on to
make a name for himself under some other venue!! [snort.gif]
Tom

My great uncle kept a closet full of thin ties while wide ties were the only thing people were wearing with the exact same reasoning. It made me disproportionately happy that he got to wear them again before he passed away.