Auction slowdown? (HDH today)

Glad to see it…you all can stay away from the Salon lots today champagne.gif

Must be [grin.gif].
As for how the lesser half is forced to live, I just bought some 1994 and 1995 California reds for around $12 per bottle. pileon

Was at the HDH auction yesterday. Saw some passed lots on 82 BDX. Seemed to me that the estimates were higher but I am no expert on BDX. Burgundy continued to sell well.

Lots of repeat BDX lots today (Friday). Boring… neener

George

I bid on two lots that I want to own, but not actually buy. I bid the low estimate assuming I won’t get hit. Now I wonder if I will get hit on the lesser lot…

2016 bdx going for well below EP pricing.

So…dating the wines then? [highfive.gif]

Soft. Most of the DRC in the HK Acker auction sold at the low estimate.

Watching now. Thought prices were pretty solid on recent vintage BDX, although the multiple lots of 2016 BDX generally sold for around EP prices. Picked up a case of 2009 Ducru Beau for $180/btl (PLUS 10% tax). I was stunned that I won. Always a chance to pickup a good deal if you are patient.

Mouton under 600, Margaux under 500, PLL for 150…I think those all 10% below ep?

I thought the mouton went for 2900 per 6, so 483. Plus roughly 30 percent fees/tax no? So 625 a bottle or so? Isn’t that around retail is today?

I’m ignoring tax as pretty much all retailers charge tax these days. But yes, reasonable point that possibly people were not paying tax on EP purchases made 2 years ago.

It’s the Laffer Curve in action. People are going to pay what they want to pay. If the auction house wants to collect a higher buyers premium, or needs to add in sales taxes, people will find those funds by bidding less on the items.

Wasn’t watching first growths, but PLL was $160 EP and the lots seemed to be selling for between $150 and $170.

2015 Figeac b/w $150 and $180 ($140 EP)
2016 Cos b/w $180 and $220 ($150 EP)
2016 LLC b/w $220 and $260 ($235 EP)
2016 Montrose b/w $180 and $200 (EP $150)

2016 Pape Clement did poorly (one sold at $110, one sold at $85 (EP Pricing) and the rest passed)
2016 LMHB (I saw that at least one didn’t sell for $380…EP $430)
2016 Pontet Canet (some sold at $150, but some passed at that price…EP price $140)

BTW, two more lots of 2009 Ducru Beau coming up later today or tomorrow.

I think the auction market as a whole has hit a plateau or a stall if you will, and I think there is a lot more supply in the auctions nowadays it seems. But the usual summer recess is about here, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens when things pickup in September.

Everything I was watching went within range. I bid low on a few lots and actually one two. One was well below range where I was the only bidder and the other right in the middle and I saved about 10% over retail after vig. I figure I’d pay sales tax anywhere.

Interesting that those 2016 Bordeaux all stayed at the low estimate.

Auctions are dead at retail

way too many repeat lots

had no intention of bidding put threw in a dozen low balls las night, hoping to catch 1

remember in december when there was 20 straight lots of a 2nd label bordeaux from the same vintage. lol

You also have to add the buyers commission to these prices as well, right?