Aubert-Save the date

Interesting, because the 2012 Peter Michael Chards I’ve had have not held up well. Green wood tannins were detracting and the fruit had faded rather than developed into anything special. Could be poor storage as the bottles weren’t my own…

You could be correct.
My bottles are direct from the winery to storage @55 degrees.

Finally opened one of the Chardonnay’s, omg. I now look at all my other chardonnay with disdain.

Love that response. Its one reason I’m in the wine game - always looking for the next fun new thing. Glad you enjoyed it Jeremy

You bring up a point that we were just recently discussing in my winos’ group:

Tasting great wines together creates a distinction and can make for some disdain in the moment.

So many wines, if we drank them as the only wine, we’d plotz over. But with great next to great, we end up having a lower opinion of the other great wines.

Aubert can do that!

I think it is the most opulent wine I drink. I simply feels luxurious from nose to finish! I’m usually an AFWE person, but this wine is so well proportioned and constructed that it grabs me, straight up!

1 Like

Hello all, are there any good notes or details about the differences in the Aubert chardonnays. Not much to go on based on the website. No notes on the abv, ph, brix, clones used or number of cases. Anyone have a good basic understanding of the differences? (Given the vinification seems to be about the same for all the chards)

I was going to ask the same thing. This year will be my first purchase and I have zero experience with their wines.

I get so many save the dates in January, I wonder why I don’t get any Save the Credit Cards.

1 Like

I have been buying since the 2004 vintage. It is a matter of taste. There are people who hate Aubert. They are wrong, but you may not like them. You should taste one and decide if you like them. Anyone who says that the chards do not age has probably never had one. I had a 2004 Lauren in 2016 and it was OUTSTANDING. I have trouble keeping my hands off them (the 04 belonged to someone else) but I recently had a 2006 Reuling Chard that I bought on the mailing list and it was very very good.

I am told that technically they are all treated the same - same cooperage and %new, time in barrel. I suppose the ferments could differ naturally, but the idea is that they are meant to be an expression of site as the other variables are kept as consistent as possible. ABV are mid 14s-low 15s, but they are well integrated. No idea on clones or case volume

Sugar Shack is usually the warmest, roundest, most “Californian” if you will. Mineral/acid fans generally would not enjoy
LH&Sons is the coolest climate wine and it shows, green apple and lime notes, lowest pH of the bunch usually I think
Powderhouse is an estate vineyard with the youngest vines. Not quite as full fruited, but decent acidity (a touch behind LH&S)
Eastside has the most minerality for my taste, but these are all somewhat opulent
Lauren and UVSL just exude full fruited chardonnay purity with the nod in complexity usually going to the Lauren. They all have this kiss of brown sugar
Haven’t had CIX/Hudson yet

I’ve only been on the list a few years so there are probably plenty of folks here who have more experience than I, but that’s how I’ve generalized it in my head thus far.

Thanks John V. Perfect! This was a great help. I think I know which ones I’ll try. The ones closest to sonoma coast along with some of the famous sites hudson and hyde and I’ll cross check scores so i dont miss anything. For those on multiple lists how does aubert compare with Hudson’s signature chardonnay? Thank you!

Man, that note was gorgeous.

Kudos and 6 Berserker Points for you!

The Hudson Chardonnay has been part of the fall release, along with the Pinot Noirs and the appellation wines.

Even though I’ve been buying since the '05 vintage release, I have yet to open a Hudson or Powderhouse (2017 was its 1st vintage). I won’t argue with John V’s characterization of the wines, but I find them far more similar than his descriptions might imply. While I haven’t done either a vertical or a horizontal tasting (we tend to savor each individual bottle …), I think I’d find more variation across vintages than I would among the different vineyards in the same vintage. Sounds like something I should test, though …

Yes Scott, good point - I agree it’s a relatively narrow range, just trying to highlight what differences may be there. I have never done a horizontal either as these are typically special occasion wines in our house but I would be very interested to try that out. They have a tasting room now and we had a visit planned recently that was unfortunately cancelled due to the fires. I can’t wait to go back and compare. It is fair to say that these are all opulent, ripe, new world Chards with high quality fruit.

Long time fan and buyer of Marc’s wines, both red and white. Just enjoyed a 2005 Ritchie chardonnay last week that was incredibly delicious at age 15, with much upside remaining. California’s grand cru white burgundy, in my view.

Hi Ken. I was offered to get my allocation on next Tues, 1/14. Are you earlier than that?

Hi,
Yes
1/9 for me.

that is funny!

Aubert and Ferren are the only Whites I buy. Also, Marcassin but a friend shares his allocation with me

I like the Aubert chards but very seldom drink chards. I very much like Aubert pinots and great pinots in general. Got some chards on their last offer as it included a warning to buy to stay on list. Anyone know about the stay on the list algorithm and/or when their pinots offered?