Aubert Release Alert

Spoke with Phillip Gift a couple of weeks ago. Ritchie is beyond outrageous.

Anyone care to comment what “style” the chardonnays are made in? I’ve read the CellarTracker notes and “oak” is noted frequently as well as “acidic”.

I know they aren’t mutually exclusive, but didn’t recognize anyone’s note whose palate I know.

Price or goodness?

Taste. In his opinion the best ever produced.

the style is badass and tasty. great wine is a style onto itself. but these are not AFWE wines.

Big and ripe, but also usually with brisk, natural-feeling balancing acidity, as well as a sense of minerality that I rarely get from New World Chardonnay. These are about as far from Burgundy in style as it gets, but somehow they still seem to have some nuance and something to think about when they’re on.

I passed on last years as I was tapped out but don’t think I can pass on this vintage.

My CC is already sweating thinking about the upcoming allocations that I am about to get hit with. Let the games begin!

I love white burgundy, Chablis, Ceritas, and many things AFWE, but the 2012 Sugar Shack I had a few months back was spectacular. This is some special stuff.

This is the only white wine I buy in quantity

One of my favorites and the only cali chard my husband likes.

Interesting about the two tiers. I have been on the list since the 2005 vintage and buy several cases a year and I am on the January 13 first come first served tier.

is anyone clear that there is actually 2 tiers?? i interpreted the email to mean that if you want to order your allocation, and are not going to be around on the 13th, they can’t guarantee that there will be any left by the time you get back from whereever, so just call them beforehand and order your allocation. i wonder if they’ll get deluged with phone calls ahead of time…

Their allocation policies are bizarre. I joined probably 10 years ago after reading the RP reviews. It’s been awhile but my recollection is I bought a mix totaling a half case to give them a try. The next offer I was shut out of 2 of the 3 I bought the previous time they were offered, yet I learned from the boards that newbies were offered those wines. I emailed Teresa to ask why I couldn’t buy them again when newbies could and she replied “that’s our policy”. I quit buying at that point. Too many great chards sold by people interested in taking care of their previous buyers to put up with that crap.

If anyone is interested in picking up a few bottles from the upcoming release at cost, pm me. Cheers, Mark

I have been buying and drinking the chards since the 2004 vintage. I originally bought the 04s because I was told you had to do that to get the pinots. I immediately fell in love with the chards. I perceive a slight change in overall flavor balance over the years. The 04 Lauren was a bit creamier with lower acidity and less of a mineral component. I believe the general feel of the “house style” is more laser sharp than it was at the beginning. I also think it is a bit more food friendly. I DO NOT consider that an insult. I have been a buyer every year and will buy again this year. I drank an 06 Lauren last Friday night with family. Outstanding.

I likely won’t be buying my full allocation as well if someone in the Bay Area wants what I don’t pick up at cost.

I’m considering acquiring the following:

CIX Estate
Ritchie
Lauren Estate

Any thoughts on these selections, should I consider something else? I really enjoyed Aubert’s 2008 Reuling Vineyard Chard, in fact it was my 2014 WOTY, if this helps with flavor profiles.

No, but there at least 2 tiers. My email said the I have a guaranteed allocation on Jan 12th and first-come first-served from the 13th. If I wasn’t going to be around during the allocation period, then call before Jan. 9th to pre-order.

Sugar Shack
Eastside

Thank you! [cheers.gif]