Ata Rangi 2013 Barrel Samples: let's get geeky on NZ Pinot

I just returned from a fantastic trip to your part of the world and was fortunate to taste at Ata Rangi. Brought home a bottle of '13 McCrone as well as 2 of their chards. Coincidentally going to a tasting this Sat. of NZ wines in general and thinking I might bring this bottle. They were not pouring it when at cellar door, any ideas on how it is performing these days? They were pouring their '14 estate bottle and was fantastic.

I am to contribute 2 wines for the tasting and here are the only NZ wines I have in my stash -

2005 Kumeu River Pinot Noir Estate
2006 Saint Clair Family Estate Pinot Noir Doctor’s Creek Reserve
2014 Tongue in Groove Pinot Noir Cabal Vineyard
2004 Vinoptima Gewürztraminer Reserve

Any input on above wines?

Hi Tom, the Vinoptima should be fun to open. I think I’ve tried the '13 Crone and thought it less good / interesting than the regular, but I know others have disagreed. I recall it had more char / roast meat notes that didn’t particularly appeal, on which basis I might conclude it needs more time. '14s are indeed excellent (again). As your second bottle, I would go with the Kumeu or St Clair as they’re probably quite ready.

Thanks Rauno - will go with your advice and report back. The first Vinoptima I tried 7-8 years ago was way too young, hoping the extra time has helped. I really like Kumeu’s chards, have been less impressed with their pinots but should be interesting to check in this 12 year old.

After visit to NZ I am interested in digging a bit deeper into your wines. On this trip we also visited the Mornington Peninsula outside of Melbourne - that was a shocker. The chards and pinots were amazing! I have been stuck in the big shiraz only category and man was I wrong.

Tom, I recently opened my first '04 Vinoptima. It drank very well. People thought it was Alsatian.

I liked the '13 McCrone - 2013 was a great vintage in Martinborough - but I prefer the main cuvée. Like Rauno, I’d go for one of your older NZ wines.

I’d be interested to hear you report back …

Cheers, Howard