At What Age Did You Start Cooking?

same
I was also child labor for my mother’s mother, and for her mother as well.

Funny, I can remember at 3 helping my mom (well she probably had me banging a pot or something) and like Suin I also had the Better Homes and Garden Junior cookbook and was making dishes solo at about 5-6. I have an older sister which we were always compared against each other. I learned to cook she didn’t. To this day I’m the only one in the family who can make my grandmother’s recipes like she did, especially her Charlotte Russe.

Under 10. Would help my mom who was an excellent cook who learned from her mom who was a professional cook in Hawaii.

^same. But in her defense, my father would eat almost nothing, very much meat and well… meat, so my mom had little incentive to be creative. She recognized that I liked it and encouraged me to cook, and for that I’m very grateful. Put me in some cooking classes for kids when I was probably 7 or 8 and allowed me to cook a lot at home.

Young. I don’t specifically remember but as soon as I could sit on a counter and stir, crack eggs, etc… later westood on a stool. Myself and a couple of siblings learned to cook early.

JD

A story about the Norwegian philosopher and mountaineer Arne Næss sr. comes to mind. During an interview with a student newspaper he was asked when he started climbing. His answer was “When did you quit?”

I have been helping (or should I say “helping”) my mother for as long as I can remember. Now that I have kids of my own, it is a great thing to do together. My son is six and now he really can be a good help. My two year old daughter is less of an actual help, but she loves it… I’ve also noticed that cooking with my kids has made me a better cook
It forces me to plan a little further ahead and cook more cleanly and organised.
Screenshot_20190919-174530.jpg
(This was taken when my son was a little more than two years old. He insisted on rolling the fresh pasta…