At the Château d'Yquem, one of the greatest dinners with exceptional wines

Vraiment–Je lis avec le grand sourire sur ma visage.

A wonderful way to enjoy the beginning of the holiday season, Francois. My best wishes to you and the family. I will make sure dad, Lynn and Jon get a chance to read these notes.

Sante, toujours

Mike

Alan,
You raise a very interesting point. How is it possible that ultra old wines perform so well ?
I am amazed to see how such old wines are so balanced, having a perfect balance for all aspects.
Why does a 1906 Chambertin seems more accomplished than a 1934 or than a 1955 ?

One day I had in front of me a glass of Beaune Grèves Vigne de l’Enfant Jésus 1865 and one of Beaune Grèves Vigne de l’Enfant Jésus 1947.
The two were nearly identical. They had the same DNA. But the 1865 had something very hard to describe which made it a greater wine.

One could say to me : “this is your taste, and it is not the taste of everyone”. But I have shared so many wines with so many people that this argument does not work anymore.

There is Something in Lafite 1900 that does not exist in Lafite 1961 which is a very great wine.

I am unable to give reasons, but I am amazed by the sensation of eternity given by these wines.
It explains why I have never enough of these wines.

I also do not have enough of these kinds of wines.

I began to collect old wines in # 1975. At that time it was possible, even if difficult, to find wines of the first half of the 19th century.
Today, it is nearly impossible.
And I see that the sources for wines of the second half of the 19th century are smaller.
I could find wines of 1870, and now it is extremely rare.
Two possibilities :

• the wines were drunk : bravo
  • the corks became weak and the wines died : bad thing.

My campaign is to motivate owners of old wines to let them live their mission : to be drunk.
And when a wine like the 1878 Lafite is drunk and is voted as best wine, this is my happiness.