Assymetrical Pruning ??? [Germany, Austria, Switzerland]

I have been thinking about planting some white grapes in the garden to see what kind of juice they can make in our climate, and I was googling to see if I could find any pictures of what white grape pruning looks like in Germany & Austria.

[BTW, from what I can tell, for googling purposes, the keyword seems to be “Rebschnitt” = Rebstock [vine] + Abschneiden [prune].]

Anyway, I often seemed to find pictures of this weird, assymetrical pattern wherein they take a single main cane and curl it back upon itself and then allow annual shoots to spring up off of that one main cane:

Note that that picture is from a Swiss vineyard:

Weinbau Festiguet
Das Jahr des Winzers
http://www.teutsch.ch/alt/weinbau/3.html

Is this common in American/French/Italian/Australian vineyards, or is this as weird [and as assymetrical] as it looks to me?

I always thought that most vineyards maintained a standard “T” shape in their vines, with two main canes heading off in either direction from the base of the T [not this inverted/sideways L-shape, with only one cane].

PS: Can anyone recommend a good book on the basics of young vine planting and pruning in North America? Thanks.

Nathan-

It looks a little strange in that picture, but isn’t that just a head-trained, single-cane pruned vine? Replacement spur on the left there with last year’s wood laid down on the right?

In the pic, the yellow part looks like it is showing that it will give next year’s producing cane. Why would the cane be positioned in that manner? Seems like due to the odd way the wood is cut. I’m used to seeing one to the left and one to the right, and alternating. More like a V figure.

I think you’d be hard pressed to get most varieties to bend like that without breaking. I don’t see the advantage to turning it back on itself. Why not take one cane strait down the wire and leave a two bud renewal spur for next years fruiting cane? [shrug.gif]
I have seen people arc thier canes in order to avoid excessive apical dominance, but I’m not sure that works all that well. It’s all about balance and fruitfullness. In cooler climates, where there is more cloudy, rainy days when the buds for the following season are forming, cane pruning will be more fruitful and can keep a vine in better balance. If you spur prune a vigorous vine and get repeated small loose clusters or lots of shatter, the plant will respond by putting all of its energy into vegetative growth and you’ll find yourself in a nasty cycle of unfruitfulness, with thick shaded canopies leading to poor wine quality/yield. Just my $.02

I assumed that it was shown that way for ease of drawing & display in 2D.

That too, but I think its showing what happens over the current season to the next…not the best illustration.

Looks like Single Guyot replacement cane pruned to me. Watch the video
http://www.wineberserkers.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3431
The cane pruned vine in the video would be considered double guyot meaning two canes as opposed to one in your sketch

You could get Sunlight into Wine by Richard Smart