Assorted Rivers Marie 2008-14

or, learn to calibrate yourself to the actual note. Adrian provides excellent detail and it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out where he actually stands on the wine without an arbitrary numerical value being assigned to it as well. I’m a big Champagne fan and Brad Baker is a very tough scorer. If I gave a rat’s ass about his scores I’d miss out on all of the in depth info that he provides.

For those that keep commenting on how “scoring” it devalues his notes, why do you care enough to post? Why not comment on the actual note instead of something as silly as a numerical score.

That’s your choice, and your loss. I find Adrian’s notes among the most valuable to me on the board.

What baloney.

1. show your work

2. seriously? you don’t have to comment and if they don’t add value to you then don’t worry about them

I completely understand your point, but I just disagree. I think his point continues to be a pertinent one on this board. There continue to be many on this board who are scared of posting notes and scores because they are intimidated by the fact that there’s may differ from others, especially on some board darling wines. Hopefully this gives them more confidence in taking part.

To each their own, my friend.

Not at all John. I don’t score wines personally. And I only use them for reference in a broad sense. I would never use them to ID a particular wine.

But let’s be honest. We all notice them when their posted. Even the most cynical anti-Parker person sees the scores. You’re bothering to post in a thread about wines you probably don’t normally bother with because of the scoring and the way it’s interpreted.

The point is that when I read his notes and that score flashes at the end. And then I see the same score. And then I see it on a wine with an otherwise bad note I begin to wonder. What is going on? Can I trust the notes? Can I trust the reporter? Is he trolling?

And that’s it. Notes forgotten or discounted. And I’m someone who doesn’t even score wine. What about all the random Rivers Marie fans hoping for some useful info that do use scores and notes? Just screw them eh?

Save the hysterics. Somehow you’re all in this thread to. Hilarious and revealing. Crazy!

Baloney? So are his TN’s accurate of what he drank or are those tweaked toward whatever games his scores are? That’s a serious question as I haven’t followed Adrian on this board in relation to notes so I have no idea…see the problem for anyone who doesn’t know of his games.

Cris,

Just because someone is voicing a different opinion doesn’t mean it’s hysterical at all. In fact, I think John is on point here.

Those who want to know more about these particular wines are getting great Insight based on Adrian’s notes. The whole idea here is to Simply disregard the score. I don’t believe that concept is hysterical at all.

Cheers

Andy, there is this new tasting note and tracking site called Cellar Tracker. Adrian has links to all of the notes to CT (the abbreviation for this amazing thing) and you can read these notes there along with a myriad of other notes Adrian has posted over the years. It’s not too hard to just do some clicking and reading to then calibrate.

No hysterical concepts. Just tone.

You should be able to tell that he’s serious from just reading his notes. He has posted similarly detailed notes on a wide array of wine, all with scores of 93, for a long time.

And it’s not too hard for him to do the same here and save us readers from having to do extra work to placate his childish games.

As I recall, when he posted scores here, he was taken to task because they weren’t as high as some people believed they should be.

Andy, can we get your calibration report when you’ve finished? Maybe we can make it a sticky thread to post in all of Adrian’s threads.

Thanks.

To actually comment on the wines instead of people crying about scores, most of us there enjoyed the wines for what they are. These weren’t the style that most of us there reach for, but it was great for calibration and becoming more familiar with the house style.

Unfortunately we had a few too many drops, so the 14 Sonoma Coast was the only more recent wine and it was hard to tell if that vintage signaled a change in style or if it was just what the vintage gave TRB.

the fact that so many people are getting worked up about what number he puts at the end of a detailed note just goes to show how relevant the joke still is as a form of board satire. people claiming the score is keeping them from understanding the wine: the note and descriptions speak for themselves. think of the 93 at the end as the signature of the artist on a painting. you gain way more from focusing on the note than you ever would if only an accurate score was posted. the fact that everyone gets so offended by it only makes the score more funny.

https://www.cellartracker.com/m/stories/37882

See here for link to scores. His scores actually higher than I would expect, given his known hatred for all things gloopy.

I don’t hate his 93 pt “statement” against wine scoring, but I do like his perspective as someone much more AFWE than me and would prefer to see scores.

what surprised all of us there was that these weren’t actually gloopy. They were certainly bigger fruited wines, but, there was actual structure to them.

I’m not sure I’d call him childish. People getting into a fit over points assigned to an item they like, on the other hand…

The pinots, yes. The cabernets I thought were too soft for what the grape should be. But nothing really felt jammy or gloopy.

definitely agree. They certainly wouldn’t be anything close to something I would be spending my money on if I’m getting a Napa Cab.