Assessing space for possible home cellar usage

This guy :stuck_out_tongue:

Your mileage may vary, however after quite a few years of running a large (430 bottle) wine fridge in my garage, I recently switched to a combo of the bulk being offsite, with a modest “drink soon” and “new arrivals” fridge of around 100 bottles in the house.

As it turns out, the offsite storage for me was cheaper for the first 9 years if I did not factor in the cost of electricity - ie: offsite storage was cheaper in Sydney than owning a large wine fridge.

Now converting a space in your house may have significantly less capital costs, but id check out the math and see where it falls for your situation.

I like and prefer offsite for long term with home cellar for current consumption.

over-insulate.

Take a look at Vintage View racks. If you could get 8 of their 7 foot racks on your walls it would hold 504 bottles. They would be easy to install and would give you a little room in the middle to move around. Whatever you decide to buy, make certain you have room to assemble them and get them in the cellar. I came within half an inch of not being able to get my racking installed because of that problem.