Article on Macdonald Vineyards

Nice article about Macdonald Winery from Tom Lee.

Over 9,000 on the waiting list!

9 Likes
  1. love the preview, inset in the post (again, Victor is gonna have a field day with this, eventually) but also, 2) holy CRAP, 9,000 on the waiting list???
3 Likes

Fold some of that 10 acres into your growth so I can get in. I know I’m not #9000!!

2 Likes

Awesome article. Hopefully I’m within hundres not thousands…Wonder what the going rate for '19 will be in the secondary market…

Been on the list since March 2015. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

That’s a totally different thread, dude!

2020 Fingers Crossed - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

(Insert old-school WB “snort” emoji here)

4 Likes

I am reliably informed that the waiting list is actually over 10,000 now!

I was a beneficiary of the UK-US time difference when I managed to purchase the 2010 as a student. Graeme tells me there were fewer than 300 buyers of that first ever release!

3 Likes

Thought it was a nice article.
With their small production, I don’t know that they will ever get through the list. I don’t know about others, but I can’t imagine dropping of the list.

2 Likes

Anyone receive their first offer this year? If so, when did you join the list?

2 Likes

A bunch probably were added this year for the 18 vintage as there was a fairly substantial increase in production. That’s really what it takes to make even a small dent in the list

3 Likes

I signed up in 2018, so I think I have a long ways to go. I sent an email to MACDONALD, and got a nice reply from Alex:

“Thank you for the email and reaching out. My brother and I greatly appreciate your interest and patience! We have been slightly increasing production over the last few years with the goal to share our wine with more people so hopefully that helps. We have also had close to a 100% reorder rate every year which has made the wait a bit longer than expected. It’s hard to predict exactly when wine will become available but whenever your name comes up I will definitely reach out to keep you in the loop. I am sorry I can’t give you a more exact answer but I look forward to sharing our wine with you whenever possible. Thanks again for your interest in our small family vineyard. If you have any further questions please let me know.”

2 Likes

Great article, thanks for posting!

Maybe 20 years down the road I will see an offer. It is awesome to see them do well.

1 Like

It would have been fun if Alex had told you your # in line. We could all then post here with our guess of our # in line, and email him to find out where we are at. Closest wins something (bottle of Macdonald??)

Thanks for posting the article. Some bits and pieces I did not include in the article was the age of the vines in the various portions of the vineyards, the bio-diversity of the vineyard and the rather unique soil composition. So much cool stuff.

Tom

1 Like

Tom, again nice article. It would have been cool about the age of the vines in the various portions of the vineyards.
It would be interesting on what the McDonald’s do with the rest of their grapes since you said they only use 5 of the 15 acres and how much more will they use for their own production. I would guess they have many wineries/winemakers interested, since the McDonald’s have some of the best grapes in Napa.

Since there is a near 100% reorder, no one is going to be dropping off the list any time soon.

I am very very fortunate and excited to have been able to order the 2018 and look forward to the 2019. I signed up in March 2013.

7 Likes

Easiest purchase every year.

3 Likes

Could not be happier for Graeme and Alex. They are doing everything the right way with a long-term view. Something you rarely see today from their generation.
They have kept prices reasonable and grown production slowly so as not to comprise on quality. Kudos to them!

2 Likes

The 2019 offer isn’t out yet. It’s usually mid-September.

1 Like

was able to taste the 2019 about 6 weeks ago. Both Alex and Graeme are awesome and the wine was spectacular