Around the world in 90 days

Its very good of you to share the story and pictures. Congratulations and happy belated birthday wishes. Safe travels an please do keep posting. Inspiriting indeed (as well as welcome diversion).

2 Likes

It’s Saturday, so this must be Buenos Aires, Ruth really should be more respectable outside the Pink House.

1 Like

So, as this is a wine forum,

This is a light to medium bodied red, slightly tannic, but for £5 excellent value for money, I am sure I will encounter better on this trip, but this is more than drinkable around 85-86 points for those that do that kind of thing.

1 Like

A green barred woodpecker in the Buenos Aires botanic gardens

2 Likes

Does anyone think this is a northern waterthrush?

If so it is listed as a very rare vagrant in Buenos Aires

A chalk browed mockingbird

1 Like

Paul - Hard to see if it has a white eyebrow but the fact that the streaks stop so high on the belly makes me lean against Northern Waterthrush. Did you consider Swainson’s Thrush?

You should post this and all you pictures in the Bird Migration thread where someone more knowledgeable than me will have an opinion.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/t/bird-migration-season/76884/3642

Tonight its Luigi Bosca, De Sangre red blend 2020. It says it is Cabernet Sauvignon blended with Syrah and a little Merlot.
Medium plus depth of colour, but nowhere near opaque. Soft dark fruit nose, cherries and blackberries. Light oak. The palate is open and giving, tanin is not obtrusive, you can taste the Syrah in the blend. I doubt it will evolve. Just under £20, pleasant rather than exciting, knocking on 88-90ish points for those who score.

Today it was a 10 mile walk around Buenos Aires. A visit to La Recoleta cemetery which is a quirky tourist attraction.
Around 5000 graves. Old and modern.

Art deco

Multi storey

And one containing Evita Peron.

1 Like

Been there. Interesting “tour”. We stayed in a hotel directly across the street and at night it looks like there is light coming from some of the graves. Pretty creepy / weird. We assumed it was the marble lit up by surrounding building lights.

Still in Buenos Aires today, a walk to the Costano Sur ecological reserve, must do my research, it is closed on Monday. But a walk down the side still gave wattled jacana

Limpkin

Black necked swans, coscoroba, too far away to be more than a blob in a phone photo, and silver teal amongst others.

Lunch at the Mercado St Telmo, was excellent tapas, really atmospheric, full of people having a good time and well recommended.

1 Like

Last night we drank the Catena Zapata 2018 DV Catena Malbec. A strong purple colour, nose of plum with something floral as well. A fair amount of tannin, fine with food, but slightly firm without. Could age a few years, the most traditional of the wines drunk in Argentina. About 90 points.

1 Like

High speed ferry across the River Plate to Montevideo in Uruguay this morning. All very efficient. Fairly hot here with the sun almost overhead. There is sediment in the water as the picture shows, but we were told it is fine for swimming.

1 Like

A day exploring Montevideo, it wasn’t oppressively hot so we did about 10 miles on foot.

Excellent coffee at the Casa Pastora coffee shop, where the roast and grind their own blend.

The Palacio Salvo is a local landmark from the 1920s, in the more is more style of architecture.

For lunch we went to the Mercado del Puerto, a bit touristy, but enjoyable.

Local tannat to wash down the steak with, light but clean and well made.

Overall an active but relaxed day.

2 Likes

Final day in Montevideo today, it’s not on the tourist trail like Rio or Buenos Aires and deservedly so. A pleasant couple of days, but little to detain you. A long walk to the botanical gardens which were not overly exciting, and much of the city was dirty on the way. A visit to a strange building, Castello Pittamiglio,

Which is quirky, but could be so much more if better protected.
And a pleasant dinner in the hotel with a Pizzorno tannat reserva which was good in a modern fruit forward style going well with pasta ragout.

2 Likes

Across the Andes to Lima today, interesting to see the extensive salt flats from the plane.

Lima at first sight is a massive industrial city in the desert.

There is however a touristy modern area called Miraflores.

Lunch was a really tasty chicharron; pork, sweet potato, onions, lime etc. Our first encounter with local food and a good start.

1 Like

Very pleasant sea front area.

Pisco sours and ceviche for dinner, what could be more Peruvian?

5 Likes

Thanks again for your photos and posts.

They will keep on coming Robert.

2 Likes