Around the world in 90 days

As was discussed in a thread about a year ago my wife and I retire next week. In order to escape from the English winter we are heading south. We have a trip planned that will take us through Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Peru, Chile, New Zealand, Fiji, Australia and South Africa. Our return date to the UK is 14th February. We haven’t spent three months solidly in each others company before, so we hope we will still be friends.
We hope to see, eat and drink a lot of interesting things, as this is very much a trip of a lifetime. Would folks here be interested in viewing our progress around the world? Hopefully it would be an inspiration to get out and see some of it.

8 Likes

So exciting, please keep us posted!

Sounds wonderful. I’ll be tracking along. Enjoy!

1 Like

You’re kidding, right? Absolutely!

Sounds great… hopefully you will have time to see some cool new birds.

I hope so, I have bought books for South America, Australia and South Africa, and am brushing up with trip reports as to what is common.

1 Like

So jealous :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Enjoy your retirement. My wife and I do. We travel as much as we can. The last couple of years put a stop to our travel but we are starting up again. You may find that being away 90 days isn’t enough. There is so much to see and experience in the world. Travel while you can.

1 Like

And so it begins, setting off from an overcast 9°c York Station on the way to London and Heathrow.
20 hours to our first flight

6 Likes

A slightly more historic view, the walls of the city through the station bar window.

2 Likes

Excited to follow your thread! My husband and I are doing the same thing newly retired and traveling for a year. Best wishes to you both!

Sudden dramatic change of scenery. I said ages ago I wanted to wake up, on my birthday, in Rio. Nailed it.

8 Likes

For David, I think this is a great kiskadee, there are a lot about

In addition, loads of kelp gulls, black vultures and magnificent frigate birds.

2 Likes

Very cool!

Yellow headed caracara

Guira cuckoo

Three striped flycatcher

Brazilian tanager

1 Like

Today we did the Brazilian side of the Iguassu Falls.
It started well

Then got mind-blowing

You do get wet though

3 Likes

There were blue naped chlorophonia

And if you zoom in great dusky swifts that fly through the falls and nest behind

2 Likes

Today we cross into Argentina. I was going to share photos of long tailed flycatcher and house wren, but have now found out that their range extends to the US. So here are a saffron finch

And guira cuckoo

Both much more local in range.

2 Likes

Argentinian side of the falls today, just as stunning, but less immersive an experience

1 Like

Mid 30s°c here today, loads of pleasant torrontes whites and malbec reds, but this seems much more appropriate

1 Like