Are you getting irritated by James Suckling's scores?

“Don’t hate the player, hate the game!”

“Also the global elite only carry their Gabriel Glasware in my specially designed Ferragamo case (a bargain at $8500)”

ciao!

What’s the real concern about his scores? One can easily convert it to a Galloni score by subtracting 3-4 points, or a Wine Advocate score by subtracting 5 points (although the formulas change slightly by varietal, wine region and warmth of vintage)…

It’s really no different from converting Fahrenheit to Celsius. I think there’s even an online calculator that converts between the different critics based on the wine region, etc.

I think the conversion formula is actually, “Divide by 8, multiply the answer by 7.”

What about his palate and descriptors? Does what he tastes conform to what you taste, even if the enthusiasm/generosity is over the top? Because if not, I’d imagine shaving off points isn’t going to work.

I’d generally ignore any touted ‘score’ but especially his. I do get some emails that come in quoting scores, but I guess I am good at ignoring them, as I couldn’t tell you what the scores or critic awarding them was. Still it does diminish my view of that retailer.

It would be different if it ever happened in a store. That would result in a very frank conversation.

people that buy wine and people that buy points are two different markets, personally I hope the retailers that I deal with sell thousands of cases of whatever wines Suckles gives crazy scores to,
A:
I get to have a laugh when I read his notes.
B:
I dont buy those wines anyway.
C:
I like the people I buy wine from.

NO

I don’t much pay attention to him or his scores, but hey, he carved out a nice career for himself blathering about wine. Good for him.

And it looks like he is morphing into an adult haircut.

For a man, wearing a scarf if the temperature is warmer than 50 degrees places you solidly in dbag territory.

I thought that said “drag” at first, but I guess you could make an argument for that, too.

Love the photo. Why would you put the glasses in so that they are stem up and bowl down when you hold by the handle. Seems wrong.

Answer to the OP - No, I have developed an equation. It goes like this:

JS = CT^i where i is the square root of -1. He is exponentially irrational.

You mean imaginary?

Hmmmmm, Jay…I would guess the glasses would withstand the impact of a drop more readily w/ bowl down,
rather than stem down. I have no calculations to support that, though, and not agonna do the experiment.
Tom

If I see his score front and center I tend to erase the email right there.

So if you were to assign a tasting note and score to Sir Suckles, what would it be?

I made it through a minute and a half of the video. He actually came across as pretty down to earth, despite the scarf. Then at 1:30 he started talking about smoking a pipe in college and I was out.

Walked into a lws this weekend to pickup some previously ordered bottles and I see a stack of unknown Argentinian cab (unknown to me anyways) priced at $13 with a big “95 points Suckling” sticker on it WTF? Some poor fellow was asking the wine guy in the store if it was any good, he proceeds to tell him that it is good, cheap and got 95 points from Suckling WTF! Then he asks him if he would like a case WTF! All I could think about was how much does he get for those stickers, does he get paid by the sticker or just a lump sum for all of them?

I was not real happy, this is a reputable store…well I guess everyone wants/needs more money.

Just subtract 8, and you get pretty close. My experience anyway

Sorry, who?

So that when you open the case, the glasses are displayed right side up?

Anyways, I actually dislike when I see a high Suckling score for a wine that I like. Makes it harder to buy/more expensive.