Are you buying white burg to cellar for 10+ yrs?

My solution is to create a whole new category: Cheap White Burgundy (CWB). The idea arose because my wife needed a “safe” place to go in the cellar, so I started stockpiling wines that I was happy if I did get to try, and happy if I didn’t. They included some of the less prestigious Saint-Aubin (which now mostly cost too much to fit the category), inexpensive 1er Cru Chablis (Billaud-Simon, Dampt, Samuel Billaud, guys like that) from great years, Saint-Veran, Vire-Clesse, and Pouilly-Fuisse.

I’m keeping these for up to eight or nine years and pretty much never experience pre-mox. If I do, just go get another CWB! I also have some fancier white Burg for special occasions, but I think my oldest currently is 2008, with the exception of some Dauvissat Chablis. Sometimes I get bit, but not usually.

Not anymore.

JD

I only buy pycm. I’m not intentionally ageing them for 10+ years but I’m not worried if I don’t happen to get round to them until then. Eg I’ve enjoyed the 07 corton charlemagne very recently and it was superb with none of my 6 bottles showing any pox and all capable of going a lot longer.

Slight thread drift but does anyone think the premox risk is diminished with larger sized formats? I have a 3 litre of 2013 Lamy St. Aubin and am wondering if my chances are better in that format for a bit of aging. Thanks, Greg

I think producers are generally far more careful with corks for larger formats. To the extent that corks have something to do with premox (and we know DIAM helps), that could help reduce the premox risk. Personally I am buying at least one 3L PYCM to hold for a couple of decades. I’ll either get a tasty wine or some entertainment or both :slight_smile:

Thanks Yao and I agree. I do think that the corks played a role with the premox so I’m more confident in letting the large format age a bit. Good choice on the PYCM as well to boost your odds!

Hi Rauno, you would certainly know better than me! I guess my limited set of makers I buy have at the lower end of price increases. Keeping my Raveneau allocations for sure.

Brodie