Are these the top "wine influencers"?

Click on the original posts link and just looking at the wine glass pictured let’s you know who they are influencing. Jon Thorson is actually from MN and does wines under $20 Reverse Wine Snob. He promotes a lot of Costco and Trader Joe wines.

From a quick search, the people on that list seem to fall in may different categories from serious wine writer, wine blogger for the serious wine crowd, more classic millennial social media influencer, and marketing consulting to wineries hoping to use social media to reach certain (mainly younger, I think) demographics.

-Al

He’s the author of The Science of Wine and I Taste Red – aka the Wine Anorak (“anorak” being English slang for a geek).He used to post here (or was it on the Parker board?) occasionally. The best explainer around of the science aspects of wine.

Failed - using twitter as an “influencer” barometer over instagram.

+1

Goode’s Authentic Wine is one of the best generalist wine books around for both wine geeks and non-geeks alike. Goes technical enough to keep it informative and thorough, but readable enough not to make the book too dry and dull.

Who?

My influencers are on CT.

Jamie Goode website is quite useful though, I cross-checked some of my Japan winery visits with that website. Will look for it again when I head to Tasmania this year assuming he covers that area.

Fiona Beckett is I think more of your classic journalist: she has/has had a column in the Guardian, style of recommending 3-5 wines a week at different price points depending on the season etc… I vaguely recall maybe she’s been on the TV on Saturday morning shows, sort of the Tim Atkin, Oz Clarke et al crowd…

When he gives out 100 points.

Jamie used to be a regular participant on Robin Garr’s WLDG.

Actually…Gary V of Wine Library set the bar higher than most. Not “scintillating”, but quite often entertaining. It did start to get old after 15 - 20 episodes IMHO.

Also, Mike Colameco (Mike Colameco’s Real Food - TV show) often throws in a brief wine tasting or bar/drink segment when reviewing a restaurant. His angle is more about the uniqueness and attributes of the wine program or bar offerings than focusing on the beverages. Again, not “scintiallating” but entertaining and informative.

RT

I hate to say it but my understanding people with large instagram/twitter followings can move product.

I don’t know why, but it seems to be a real thing. Maybe I shouldn’t have told those apps to get off my lawn.

Seriously, I didn’t see Fu on the list?

I was thinking of a TV show I saw years ago (probably on PBS) with Jancis Robinson swirling and chatting with someone. It was hilariously bad.

I was thinking more Tom Hill cuz he’s followed every winery from the start.

^this. IG does influence wine buying, but it doesn’t necessarily influence the wine buying of those that read and post on this forum. This forum skews older and towards more of a collector/deep enthusiast. I think this gets lost too often when threads like this appear.

No doubt Instagram ‘influencers’ affect buying, but the term ‘influencer’ to me means something more significant, more long term. To convince hipsters to buy a $19 bottle of wine is not influencing much other than selling that one bottle of wine. To influence the wine market in a significant, meaningful way, you need to influence the buyers to purchase, educate them, get them into the geek squad like us - lifetime customers of wine (who typically buy more wine each year, and move upscale in pricepoint). That is far more valuable to the general wine market.

Interesting debate here . . .

One thing to remember about ‘influencer’ and ‘wine’ - one of the biggest challenges in the wine biz is to become and then remain ‘relevant’ - and social media certainly stands a chance of affecting that.

Cheers.

That’s because you’re not in the business of selling $19 bottles to hipsters. [snort.gif]

Think of what Jay Z did for the price of Cattier champagne.

I think you’d be surprised by Instagram. It’s not really about long term lifetime customers. Just like celebrities peddling wares. The merchant would like immediate sales as well hoping for longer relationships. Influencer is just another word for spokesperson

I know a few guys in LA who get loads of free wine to promote (almost all napa cab) on Instagram cause based on their engagement numbers they are deemed influencers.