Anything good from '81?

Has anyone had the Gruaud Larose in recent years? That was a stand-out in the vintage, but I haven’t had one in 15+ years.

Another vote for Krug in 81

And I strongly agree. [cheers.gif]

not sure if it has been said yet, but can be a good year for dry/riserva Marsala

Madeira Barbeito Verdelho Frasqueira 1981 … a great fortified wine …

Top of the top :
Clos Ste-Hune 1981
Krug Collection magnum 1981
(drunk at Veyrat’s)

Six years ago, still excellent, but the fill was outstanding - into neck.

Btw - Musar 81 is really very good, although it wasn’ t a memorable bottle … at least for me.

Thanks all for the excellent responses so far, I’m continuing to follow them and take notes!

One of the most memorable wines that I ever tasted … 1981 Torres Black Label (now called Mas la Plana). 100% cabernet since the 1978 vintage
I worked my way through a case.
F A B U L O U S !!!

I just bought a couple more bottles of Gruaud Larose in a K&L auction, about $80 each including premium. I like the 1979 a bit more but the 81 is a really good wine.

In terms of Bordeaux, I had a 1981 Haut Brion that was absolutely spectacular. Given it was 15 years ago and I paid $90 for it. I am a hard no at today’s prices. But anything of quality from Graves, is probably drinking nicely.

I inherited a case of 1981 Gruaud from my father’s cellar. Drank the last one years ago but it was still going strong. I enjoyed every bottle. It’s a very good wine and an argument for 1981 being an underrated vintage.

Interesting note on the Ducru. I’ll have to welcome an '81 Ducru next time I come across it.

1981 is my wife’s birth year but we’ve celebrated with the 1982 Ducru because I told her that she’d be a year younger if she was born in '82 and it is also very fantastic vintage that we both like very much.

Been drinking 1981 Lopez de Heredia (LDH), La Rioja Alta 904 and Cune Imperial. All have been great.

Contino '81 is possibly the best Rioja I’ve ever had. To put this in context, it edged out an '82 Mouton is a tasting a few years ago (and the Mouton was on top form). Worth seeking out.

Ducru Beaucaillou. This was my first wine future. Split a case with a friend - it was $140 a case. My half is long gone but I had one from his half a couple of years back and it was excellent.