Anyone familiar with Orin Swift's 8 Years in the Desert?

2017 Orin Swift Zinfandel 8 Years in the Desert - USA, California (10/11/2018)
Hennepin Lake Tasting 2018; 10/11/2018-10/14/2018 (Minneapolis, MN): Terrible wine. One of the worst wines of the year candidate. If you are into Orin Swift wines you slam them and don’t smell and move the wine in your mouth. Overripe fruit and not acidity. I am not sure how a pro critic could give this above an 85. I will take over for you if you did. (82 points)

This wine is terrible.

https://www.cellartracker.com/classic/wine.asp?iWine=3065108 Looks like some industry folk reviewing this wine and loving it!

I have to agree with the last few posts - to me it is an overextracted grape bomb

What were you all expecting when you drank this?

I was expecting an over extracted grape bomb, so no surprises

It’s on the by the glass list at our local pizza joint. Our waiter let us try a small pour. Not horrible, but not really any different then many other riper style Zins.

I enjoy this wine for what it is. It’s a nice drink if that doesn’t require a lot of thought. Not sure why people are giving it serious evaluation though. It’s like writing a review on Heineken or rolling rock.

If Rolling Rock were $60 a 6-pack people would be writing negative things about it, too.

It’s hard to justify a zin at over $40 a bottle - with one or two exceptions (Bedrock Heritage and Carlisle, for example).

They had the 8 Years newest vintage for $29.99 and no one bought it in a closeout bin at a favorite wine shop. They then moved the price up to $35.99 and sold some.

I’d probably buy some if I saw it at $29. Its definitely a crowd pleaser when you have non wine people around.

I’d probably buy some if I saw it at $29. Its definitely a crowd pleaser when you have non wine people around.

Good point but Menage Trois is one third the price.

Please clue me in. Are they selling eight bottles of the 2017 with eight different labels? Or eight different vintages?
If he sold Orin Swift to Gallo with a non competition agreement, what kept him from making wine for Gallo with the Orin Swift label on it?
Am I missing something here? Or more than one thing?
Thanks for clearing up my confusion!
Phil Jones

What I was told from a person in the wine biz was that he had an 8 year non-compete agreement to not release a Zin based blend to compete with The Prisoner. His 8 years is now up, hence his release of 8 Years in the Desert. Family had some at a tasting and they all liked it. I didn’t try but can’t remember why.

I am not a big fan of the wines, but what I think I mind is the blatant rip off of SQN in the approach and packaging. Manfred really pioneered the original concept of different labels and names for each vintage, and I think does it tastefully. This just seems like a clonal attempt to exploit an original idea.

It’s funny that this brand is now around $39 retail…year 2…

Speaking of Orin Swift, I recently had a 2017 Prisoner which is about $39 now.

Not nearly as good as the 2014 which was their peak, IMO, before they were purchased in 2016.

Tried this a few days ago. I’d stay away. Many better options at the price. Orin Swift has failed to win my favor on the numerous chances I’ve tried them.

I can’t believe this isn’t a parody video. What garbage.

Man, that makes me wanna go buy me a vintage Cutlass!

sheesh.

that video…reaffirms my previous statement. I think they’re just headed down a path thats focused on building a faux cult brand…and people are seeing through it.