anybody traveling in France?

This was pretty much what my colleague in France said (he works for the guv’mint). My original plan was to sneak in and then get quarantined there, pouring wine at either Huet or Cotat for a couple of weeks…

Noticeable today that people have stopped shaking hands and kissing for the most part.

I think that was me. According to this article that’s from March 7 there were 119 confirmed cases in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté.

I was going to fly this Friday, but the people I’m working with to import some wines and make connections with Domaine’s really suggested I not go for my and their safety. The virus itself is not my worry, but the hysteria behind it. Take a look at this, a whole hotel in Beaune was quarantined after a guest died. They weren’t allowed to go until the test came back negative, luckily it was not the virus.

I really wanted to go, but it wouldn’t be fun since things will start closing down once France goes into level 3.

We successfully found our house sitter today, which is ironic because this was our main concern: find someone responsible and trustworthy to take care of the dude who is in my avatar. Now, we have the hardest part solved and yet we’re dealing with the frigging virus fallout. Whether the risk is reduced or minimal in 8 weeks, I’m not sure that is going to happen and so we’ll just wait now and see what happens in France, what the CDC guidance is on travel and what shakes out here locally. If things get bonkers here in SoCal, then we’re not leaving for sure.

Pretty sure that this is not correct. I just arrived in Beaune and none of my friends here heard anything of the kind. That is not to say that cases in France are not likely hugely underreported, but I think there is no basis for the notion that Beaune is any kind of hotspot for coronavirus. I have to say, getting into a 1975 Bollinger while a pot-au-feu cooks on the stove, I am happy to be back, jet lag and virus pandaemonium notwithstanding.

Les Printemps des Champagnes has now been cancelled.

Also, Les Printemps des Chateauneuf du Pape and a wine festival in Auvergne.

William - the person reporting came & posted in this thread with sources (I have not read) - take a look.

I was supposed to go on Thursday, but switched my flight to the end of April. For all I know things could be worse then.

I’m not scared of the virus for myself, but I’d rather not be part of the problem of spreading anything right now. Also worried about flight cancellations/quarantines. With young kids at home, I can’t be stuck abroad for extended periods of time.

I’ve searched the two threads in the travel forum and don’t find any reference to Beaune.

Booked for New Years. Hoping by then this is in the rear view mirror.

here is the original quote regarding beaune however from some searching it seemed like it was just precautionary: Coronavirus : à Beaune, le touriste chinois mort dans un hôtel n'était pas contaminé

It’s probably worth cross-referencing the threads in the Travel and Restaurants Forum, since they’re active and cover the same topic:

Coronavirus and Summer Travel

Drastic times call for drastic measures (focused on Italy so far)

John - I can’t really search the Board right now but it looks like the guy might have removed the post - but nonetheless, he posted here acknowledging the other post & providing sources. In his original Travel post, he said 30-something cases in Beaune, as I said, but I don’t know if this is correct. I haven’t really read the sources - I’m not going to France immediately - but the one from the French government does seem to report 115+ cases in the Bourgogne Franche Comte Department as of a few days ago.

If you’re going to make claims like that, you should provide a citation. It seems from the story in post #32 that a Chinese visitor in Beaune died of a heart attack and that, out of caution, 30 others in the same tour group were briefly quarantined until the cause of death was determined.

Bourgogne Franche Comte encompasses seven departments, and stretches from nearly Paris to the Swiss border.

John - The only claim I made is that someone posted this in the Travel section - which he has acknowledged - that I didn’t know if it was true, and that people should talk to him or consult his sources. He provided his sources in this very thread. Get a grip. The English was clear and basic.

Ryan, good to hear from you. How’s everyone doing? Was good seeing you a few months ago.

Were you on United? I’m waiting to see if they’re going to offer any relief for those like me who have tickets coming up but who would rather apply the full value to a future trip. I’m not wanting to pay the $200 change fee if I can avoid it.

Hi Frank,

All is well here!!

I was on Norwegian to Paris, then lufthansa (miles) back. I had to pay $330 to change the Norwegian flight. I just hope that they are still in business when I try to go next month. Their stock has been getting killed. I paid $125 to get my miles back from United. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Best,

Ryan

A couple of weeks ago, I cancelled a United flight to Taiwan. I got 100% refund. No change fees.

Change and/or cancellation fees are based on purchased ticket class that’s being cancelled/changed. Some ticket class = no change fee; other ticket class = change fee.