Anybody else growing hot peppers

Those are beautiful, Jay. Really rich color. I’ve gotta get in on this next year.

The diversity is amazing to me. Mixing the different peppers in a salsa adds visual as well as taste complexity.

Jay,

I’m growing the TS, Plus a few others.

I bought a Nesco Professional dehydrator…works wonders for processing peppers. You can do an oven…mine will do 135 …

Slice peppers in half, look for any crazy creatures, place in dehydrator @135 for about 10 hrs

Not to put a damper on this, but just as an aside, is there any thought to liability (a la an unguarded swimming pool/trampoline in your backyard) with concern to little kids messing with your plants, and perhaps getting eye burns etc.?

When you think of many households, they can be home to poisonous houseplants and deadly chemicals. I have an umbrella policy for my protection (not perfect). All of my plants are in containers that would be hard for a little kid to reach. I have locks on cabinets that have dangerous chemicals.

Some of these plants are no joke. The pain can be intense.

That is hardcore and very cool. Most of my plants are producing a couple hundred pods each. I give away most and dry a few manually for seeds.

That’s awesome Jay. Wear some gloves touching those guys! And if you need to rid yourself of any that Dietz can’t handle, I am your guy. Many varieties of peppers is the key to some various excellent Michoacán dishes, particularly a verde and mole.

Jay, your bottom pic, what is the yellow low-right of dead center?
peppers.jpg

Try growing a plant of Black Pearl; a friend grew some and one of the guys who works at her boyfriend’s vineyard, and he’s someone who absolutely loves very hot chiles, got an ass whipping from them.

Those appear to be 100 Orange scotch bonnets.

Impressive eye. However, about 3 years ago I had a pod that was smaller (and a bit rounder) than a typical SB but more favorable. I saved the seeds and planted them. This is the 3rd generation of those original seeds.

That is interesting. I did not like it.

Just to be clear, this “Dietz” guy can’t deal with the heat of what Jay is growing (and I agree, the pics are magazine gorgeous!). I get an allergic reaction that leaves me sweating like a pig. I mean dripping running sweat. Not a pretty sight or comfortable for me.

My wife, however, can eat these, and she makes amazing salsas with chiles, tomato, tomatillo, etc. We’ve begun wine tastings with an assortment of 3-4 different salsas made with different ingredients and with varying levels of heat. They are always a hit.

No one has mentioned the healthy benefits of these chiles.

Does that not also end your wine tasting? I can’t imagine drinking alcohol, let alone tasting anything, after a bunch of salsas, as delicious as they may be.

My Butch Ts are still green and this cold SoCal rainy weather isn’t helping! I need some heat!!

Can you make a greenhouse over the plants with an old window frame above them?

It hasn’t seemed to bother those lug heads. I don’t understand it either.

If they have started the ripening process go ahead and pick them. Put them in a paper bag with a banana peel.

Ohhh never thought of that! Is there a DIY instructions for this? haha…

Moving to the new house in May and not being able to plant things until July made my plants difficult this year :frowning: The peppers are still small so I’ll just keep them hanging for now and might try to create a greenhouse :slight_smile: