Antonio Galloni calls out the Modern [NYC]

I don’t think restaurants need to feel obliged to replace their entire stemware inventory every time a trendy new brand comes along reducing the glass thickness by a couple microns.

6 Likes

100%. Remember when Riedel stems were the ultimate?

I am a wayback machine diner at the modern but it always was superior for selection and value. Keller absterde for 245$ when retail was 400$. Yes please. Always a ton of great value stuff.

I have no dog in the fight but if the data is correct…and the breadth that made the list a gem is diminished…then there you go.

Could both be right here. Wonderful place. Believe data

Extremely friendly BYO policy and on InKind. Very disconnected post from the actual wine scene.

1 Like

Yes. I remember they were lightyears ahead of most other glasses. But now I’ve boxed up all my old Reidel Vinums to give to my daughters when they end up in an apartment in NYC. When I compare a Vinum to a Zalto or Glasvin it’s like comparing a Jeep Wrangler to a Ferrari.

I don’t necessarily disagree, but are restaurants required to employ the thinnest and most prone to breakage glassware just to satisfy insufferably picky Berserkers?

Oh wait…yeah, they are. :rofl:

4 Likes

The wine list is geek friendly and fairly priced.

I looked at the wine list. I saw nothing that would dissuade me from bringing my own.

cannot wait to do a horizontal tasting of white claw with CC in her LES flat.

I can’t imagine the breakage and related costs. That said, when I go to a restaurant in NYC these days and they don’t have Zaltos/Glasvin/similar, you can’t help but notice.

My local bistro that I love still has Speiglau glasses and I’m totally fine with them.

i’m convinced that i have the absolute worst influence on you of anyone you know. i’m proud.

1 Like

Char’s home for spring break. Made her and Allison a Naked & Famous this past weekend. Char insisted on having hers served in a Govino plastic outdoor wine glass because she finds them to be fancy.

I am now going back the other direction, I am so sick of breaking glasses on a bi-monthly basis.

2 Likes

Of course not. But unless it’s very recently changed the Modern is using low-end thick Riedel stems unless you ordered a very expensive wine or are a regular and then they will try to give you a Zalto (but they may not have enough left to do so because they break). It’s not like they made a glassware investment recently and I’m suggesting they redo it - it’s an area they haven’t invested in in a long time, I’d gather. It’s a 2 michelin star restaurant.

1 Like

I have owned six Zaltos. Five are dead. I’m done with them. Grassl forever!

I actually whacked the bowl of a Grassl against the sink this evening. No damage!

2 Likes

Correct, their stemware used to have more Zaltos.

Probably all broken by now.

I’m sticking to my Rona Orbital. Best wine glasses I’ve ever come across.

2 Likes

i think zaltos are still difficult to source?

but there are a ton of other options as others have mentioned. i was served spiegelaus recently that i thought were zaltos. i’m not a glass fetishist, but i think it’s fair to state the standard has changed considerably over the past decade. to say nothing of the prices of wine and eating out. the extra investment in glasses makes a difference. was charlie bird the first to use zaltos in a casual setting?

ok what would you bring?

I see lots of great wines on the list I would be happy to drink.

1 Like

Same. I have had to replace both Champagne and bigger glasses in the past year and did so with slightly clunkier and less expensive ones. Initially kicked myself for not shelling out the extra dough. After a week or two my system recalibrated. Still love a fine glass but don’t find myself pining for them and enjoy not having to treat them like Faberge eggs.