Another use for Ch. d'Yquem

The nice lady at the Dior counter at Nordstrom handed me a fistful of samples today. When I got home and checked it all out, I discovered this blurb on the packaging of L’or de Vie.

The legendary Chateau d’Yquem produces wines that have been revered and respected for centures. The secret of this unmatched wine is the power of the vines to regenerate and improve year after year.

Dior’s scientists discovered precious vital ingredients in the heart of these vines with exceptional revitalizing properties. Ten unique molecules in specific combination help to explain the vines’ incredible capacity for renewal year after year. Only Dior holds the secret to the extraction and transformation of these life-giving molecules into a skincare technology with extraordinary results.

At $350 for a 1.7 ounce tub of moisturizer, this stuff makes '67 Yquem look like a great QPR from Trader Joe’s. And anyway, I’d rather have wrinkles on my face and Sauternes in my glass.

Love it, Melissa! You definitely have the right priorities.
I can’t wait to tell our local Mr. Yquem, David Niederauer, about this “special property” of the Yquem vines. What a hoot.

It’s a good example of marketing gone way way wrong. But of course since the make-up industry is pure marketing we will only see more of this. A few years down the road “Dior’s scientists” will probably have found the Fountain of Youth or something, and will obviously keep the secret… or sell it in tiny, extremely expensive packages… yeah right [rolleyes.gif]

there’s a novel by Nabokov, Pnin, where the eponymous central character makes a drink called Pnin Punch, from equal parts Château d’Yquem and grapefruit juice…

Blasphemous as it is, I am trying to imagine the flavor and it does not seem good!

Pnin is one of my all time favorite books, if not my actual favorite! What a pathetically loveable character.

This naturally leads one to question what would need to be put in your glass to put ******* on your face?

Oh snap looks like I can’t say ******!

I certainly would go for the '67 Yquem. My whole head isn’t worth the price of that moisturizer. My notes of the '67 Yquem from a dinner in Bdx on 12 July 2006:

Chateau d’Yquem 1967

(From my notes made as I enjoyed my 2 glasses in lieu of dessert) Lustrous amber-dark gold in the glass; a heaven of orange marmalade, creme brulee, seamless vanilla bean, a touch of candied apricot/lemon and sweet-ripe pineapple and yellow flowers. Franck Alby detected hints of roses in the bouquet.

Wonderful weight mid-mouth, Rubenesque, and a finish that followed me all the way back to Manila.

I know what to do! Next time you’re drinking a high end Sauterne, whether at home or at a fine dining restaurant, why not dip your finger into your glass and then discreetly rub it all of your face. . .no one will notice. . .honestly. . . :wink: Think of the results you’ll get!

You have to admire LVMH for making the most of cross-marketing since they own both Y’Quem and Dior. They also use the old Y’Quem barrels to age one of their Glenmorangie Scotches.

Aha! I didn’t realize that, but it makes sense. It’s sort of tacky, when you get right down to it-- it’s like the marketing relationship between Walmart and Yoplait.

have certainly adored every mouthfull of '67 Yquem I’ve ever had—surprisingly good others are '86 and '71—

good news about '67 is that Suduiraut is just about as fine (maybe 96%) as Yquem, and I don’t recall it being quite so pricey…

What a bunch of crap. My Doisy Vedrines SPF 2003 Facial Balm is just as good and I can get three times as much for the price.