Another Stupid Storage Question - Room Temperature

I keep two 12 bottle styro shippers in my coolest closet as an overflow. In the the winter, I’ll stick anything in there (stays around 68), but summer is about 74, and I’ve seen it spike to 77.

I try to keep inexpensive wines for the near term, Rose in the summer usually ends up there, plus just about anything from Winebid because those wines are used to the heat neener

For 2 years I wouldn’t give it a second thought. By 5 years at 74 degrees ageable reds will be noticeably more advanced but shouldn’t be cooked. No problem IMO unless you plan to hold them longer. Even if you move them to temp controlled storage after a few years they’ll always have a shorter path to over the hill.

Champagne OTOH, no bueno.

As to the board intervention into your purchasing habits, you know we love you Bobby and we don’t want to see you get hurt…

Lol, you guys are funny, and have great points!

If you haven’t figured this out yet, I’m ADHD, impulsive and don’t really keep track of my buying. I just realized that I have about ten cases of Levet, which is a lot for a unique wine. It may be a house wine when I’m retired and drinking alone! :wink:

So this is a cautionary tale to the youngsters: don’t wait to build your home cellar! I moved to this house 12 years ago, and didn’t want a cellar since I lost so much wine at the last house after the long power losses from 3 back-to-back hurricanes. Then I kept coming back around to doing it, and postponing it for a multitude of reasons. The current reason is, Im not sure if we stay here. But that was the reason three years ago. And I bet I’m still here in three more!

And I do need to slow my stupid volume of new release purchases. I’m loaded with not inexpensive wines that still won’t be ready until I’m 65+. But as you all l know, easier said than done. That’s part of the reason that I don’t wanna take down yet more off-site storage, as then I just keep buying more. Shit, I just bought a 2014 Dominus Maggie today…

Oh the humanity…

Sounds like you need a cellar and a backup generator. The back up generators are really not too expensive, especially when protecting a substantial wine collection.

Agreed. I kick myself for not having done this ten years ago. We have a large open kitchen, with a casual dining area, and adjacent to it is our TV room and den, separated by a wall. On the other side of the wall, is an 8x6 walk-in closet that has junk in it. Screams to be a wine room, with a nice glass door into the casual dining area. I’m a fool for not doing it. But then again, when I proposed it 10 years ago, my wife said we need a new kitchen too, and came back with a 100k budget. It’s hydraulic, but on a 5:1 ratio in her favor.

You need to buy another cabinet, then hang art on the door. Kill two birds with one stone :wink:

Throw a big potluck party and open up some of those wines. Post those pics online #ballastyle

This is ridiculous, all this talk of extra storage units and drinking wine early. He clearly needs this under his house…

You need to slow down your purchases. If you can’t do that rationally, you can send your modest year-end bonus check to me and I will do it for you, gratis. Isn’t this what friends are for? [cheers.gif]

I like Chuck. I’m pretty sure he’s telling me to drink more.

Ha, I only hire cocky! Nobody wants to hire a modest wallflower for a lawyer! That’s any oxymoron anyway.

Like my wife, I want associates with attitude!

The associates have offered to help me drink the stuff, though. And yes, I have been teased incessantly these past two weeks as my office is upside down and nobody has any place to sit. I don’t even have a place for my afternoon cat-naps.

You clearly missed an opportunity ten years ago to sell the “Wine Pantry” as part of the kitchen rework. Time for another shot.

Exactly how it was intended.

Not in Florida, you must have Victor on ignore.

You may need to become a disciple of resident ascetic Neal Mollen

I smell an office-furnishing purchase coming before year end.

And strip me of all humor and joy of life!?

[wow.gif]

Not possible.

1. Robert is still young (ish). Lots of wine buying to go.

\
  2. He has not gotten into Burgundy - YET. flirtysmile When he does, wine buying will increase dramatically. pileon

Robert…I too have had to resort to storing some lesser priced wines for years in a spare room at the house. If you keep in styro and dark, they stay cool to the touch and probably closer to 70 at our house. In the winter, I close the vents in that room so it stays cooler. Yes, I’ve had a few bottles over the years that perhaps could have held up better, but no casualties.

That’s sorta my thought, too, Adam. I’m sure most of these wines would be consumed within 3 years or perhaps by then I have a solution.