Another smoke thread

I think that, much like 2008, where the smoke was played up in the media but the spring frost was a widespread problem — smoke in 2017 will get the lions share of attention. But the early september heat spike across the state will effect far more Wines Than smoke.

Adam Lee
Clarice Wine Company

Yes, that’s true. It’s definitely a rare situation, but I guess stuff like that could happen. However, I have no idea whether this would result in the fault known as smoke taint.

I remember reading an article on smoke taint research (probably AWRI) and IIRC, the smoke taint usually isn’t noticeably immediately, but instead develops over time, normally taking 1 to 2 years before appearing. That’s also why some producers might prefer to keep the wines to themselves long enough to see whether they are affected - instead of either dumping the whole batch or releasing faulty wines.

Here is a brief write up from Galloni on tasting through a bunch of samples of 2017 Napa wines along with some insight from winemakers / vyd managers.

One thing that is clear is that 2017 is more than just about the fires. The extreme flood in the Spring and then extreme temperatures in late Spring and then again over Labor Day weekend marked the vintage before those fires struck. There’s an interesting discussion about the use of ‘shade cloths’, something that we’ve heard more about for the last few years, where vineyard managers are trying to ‘protect’ their fruit from extreme heat after veraison. These are not only being used in Napa - I’ve seen their use in Paso and sparingly in SB County as well.

Cheers.